Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara 1.2.beta1 export

Yaju Mahida's profile picture

31 August 2009, 21:44

When user exports portfolio as HTML/LEAP2A Mahara creates directory structure under /maharadata/export/1 etc.

For each export - sub directory is created and it just stays there even after user have downloaded it. We have set the maximum quota as 200MB. Assume someone have used that and now export ePortfolio with all data for five times. So, it will uses 1GB space.

This export sub directory should be deleted after successful export to minimize unnecessary disk usage. Or there should be some functionality that add this export as a zip for each user as a link under My Files and should consume user quota.  So, user can delete/archive it when all quota is consumed.

Is there any provision that deletes this junk after export ?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

31 August 2009, 23:02

Hi - it's on my list of things to do Smile. I haven't yet worked out the nicest way to do it, but the files need to live on disk for at least a short time, until the user has successfully downloaded it.

Currently I am considering an option such as a cron job to clean up exports older than 24 hours. Do you have any other suggestions? 

Account deleted

31 August 2009, 23:03

Actually, I thought of one. If they generate another export, delete the first one from disk. Or at least, schedule it for deletion in 15 minutes time or something. That way, people can repeatedly generate exports, and the old ones will routinely be cleaned up.

01 September 2009, 0:06

I believe why not to keep this export as a zip in the same directory (as it is doing right now) and than display it as a link with date and time under My Files for each user.

And later on if they don't need they can delete from the My Files. Offcourse it will consume the user's quota.This allows fully control over it and also no headache for unncessary disk usage.

And if this is not useful feature than it should be deleted when user generate another export as you have said.

Account deleted

01 September 2009, 3:23

A possible refinement:

If the user has room to save it to their files section, provide a button to do that once the export is generated. The user could do that, or just download the export.

The next time they generate an export, delete the previous temporary one. They obviously don't want it any more.

That way, at maximum, one old export per user is kept, and a cron job can come and clean that up every 24h. If the user wants to keep it they can, but it counts towards their quota.

Sound good? 

03 September 2009, 18:29

Excellent
6 results