Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
MAC osx xserve install

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

08 May 2009, 13:45

I am wondering if someone is able to point me in a direction to help install a Mahara instance on a fresh Mac xserve.

I am aware of  MAMP but would prefer not to go that route.

Thanks in advance,

Dirk

08 May 2009, 23:00

to add: Is there any reason Mahara wont work on Linux on vmware? 
anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 May 2009, 18:41

It will work fine - what issues are you seeing?
Account deleted

14 May 2009, 2:50

I actually got a test version running on standard Leopard 1.5.6 using MAMP, before I started working at the Goldfields DEO... it really is very easy, to do. It was easier than getting it to run on linux.

14 May 2009, 21:32

No too sure. Its supposed to be a 3-5 year program for our 800 students and I don't want to run into a situation down the road were future updates mess things up.

I got the xserve because we want to support our growing number of macs at school for imaging etc. and because I like the wiki and blog on there but from a compatibiity point with software I think we might be at a disadvantage.

I think I might give MAMP a try as I went a little over budget with the hardware and don't have $'s left for vmware  lol

Just a question: In a post somewhere you mentioned that a mahara dmg is not available because you don't have a mac to work with. Is that still the case and could this change if you had one?

Anyhow, thanks for making mahara such a great product!!

Account deleted

14 May 2009, 21:43

Is xserve gui or console based? You know if you have a spare machine sitting there anywehre in the school, you could easily install something like ubuntu on it and plug it into the network. All I know is it was very easy to install with Leopard. The only thing I couldn't sort out was the cron job, and with that I just didnt get the time to finish off the installation. apart from that the site was fully functional.

14 May 2009, 21:51

Its got the osx server on it so its gui, but terminal is there too for sure.

Students will have 8-10 multimedia stations scattered around the school which will be macs as well. We want them to be able to create, process and upload video and audio files with ease. I would also like it if they could upload media into maharra without having to use bandwidth as the media files would already be on the same machine.

Account deleted

14 May 2009, 21:56

What sort of network is the school connected with? gigabit? realistically a core2 with 4gb ram and a couple of tb hdd space would be all youd need. I cant imagine streaming video from 8-10 machines would worry a decently set up school network too much. from what I remember mamp comes with a gui, amking it pretty easy to set up. there is also a freeware app for OSX called FINK which adds the classic debian style apt-get functionality to osx. so once you install fink(available as a .dmg) all you have to do is open the terminal and type apt-get install mamp :) Fink also has a gui for managing apt-get as well if you arent comfortable using a console.

14 May 2009, 22:05

Our switches are supposed to be updated to gigabit soon, some are, some arent, although one never knows. I have some experienec with mamp but since they say that its meant to be used for development purposes only I have my reservations.

I can use console a bit but don't feel comfortable to use on a production machine.

I can't find anything on  amking and fink is new to me. Does it alter osx at all?

Account deleted

14 May 2009, 22:15

You have to picture unix mased environments as modular. everything about it is modular. with windows there is a specific kernel that cant be altered. unix however allows you to add and take things from said kernel as you please. so if you picture osx in its entirety as being modular, it does change it, yes, but you dont actually see the difference. all it does is allow you to download .dmg's without navigating through web pages. like any other linux, some guys have built a repository, full of software that you can download. It is safe to download and install fink on any osx machine without any ramifications whatsoever.

Id also be inclined to ignore the development thing with mamp. its is just apache, mysql and php all put together. it saves you downloading all 3 of them separately. Ive also had issues with conflicting versions between the 3 apps -- AMP for linux has been around for quite some time too.

52 results