Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Registration problem while mail sending is OK

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

17 August 2009, 6:59

We have been installing Mahara on a Debian Lenny with Postfix as mail transfer agent.
We installed Mahara through the repositories.

Registration does not work what ever we do, while adding manually user (trough admin interface) works well.

In case of adding a user trough admin interface, the confirmation email is sent without difficulties. In case of registration, we never receive the email.

We had a look at the cron.php file and tryied to execute this manually but this do not liberate any mail ...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Zabelle

Account deleted

17 August 2009, 19:41

Hi - that is strange - could you please look in the apache error log for your Mahara installation, and see if you can find the error message/backtrace that would have been put there when the e-mail sending failed?

They both use exactly the same mechanism of sending the mail, so I'm a bit surprised as to why one would work while the other wouldn't.

The registration e-mails are not sent by cron, by the way. Though forum post e-mails are. 

Account deleted

18 August 2009, 7:08

We solved the problem.

There where no error in apache log nor in postfix log.
We had a look on phpmailer and found that the noreply adress was composed using the IP host. That  makes problem to phpmailer.

The simpliest way to solve this is to add the following line in the config file

$cfg->noreplyaddress = '[email protected]'; 

This took us a long time to find this error because the phpmailer gave us an error that was few explicit.

We finally can begin using this wonderful tool ...Yeah

Zabelle

Account deleted

18 August 2009, 19:03

Yeah. The noreply address has caught a few people out actually, I think. E.g., if it doesn't exist, some mail servers won't send the mail at all. I am wondering whether we should set the noreplyaddress to the admin's e-mail address initially, though technically we want it to be an address that nobody receives the mail for!
4 results