Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
E-Portfolios at Solent video

Sam Taylor's profile picture

13 August 2009, 4:23

Hi all,

Just thought we'd show our e-portfolio video (inspired by the Floursh Project).

It will be used to show the new cohort of students in september just what they can do with it,

Let me know what you think!

Sam

Paul Tosney's profile picture

13 August 2009, 10:26

Hi,

I thought this was very good - it explains exactly what Mahara can do and how it will be of benefit to the students. I feel that getting the students onboard is critical and this video will go a long way towards that.

Our school is just at the beginning of the Mahara road; I will have to get the other members of staff to watch this video! Thanks for putting it up here.

Paul

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

13 August 2009, 18:30

Hi - very cool!! CoolWink Great to see such videos - something like that could be useful to introduce Mahara or ePortfolios in general to people Smile

Account deleted

13 August 2009, 18:36

Hi Sam,
I think it's brilliant - describes the core functioanlity of Mahara well. I wonder whether it's possible for Solent University to release the source files of this  under creative commons (with attribution to Solent naturally) so that it may be repurposed for other Mahara users around the world. Alternatively we could possibly commission a generic version with slight tweaks to the script (mentioning Mahara at key points). This would be a great contribution to the community.

cheers
Richard

Roger Emery's profile picture

17 August 2009, 9:02

Hi Richard,

There is a slight spanner in the works of 'open sourcing' the files that go to make up the animation - size. All told the various raw component project files add up to a whopping (in web terms) 16.2GB. They consist of project files for AfterEffects, Photoshop, Premiere, ProTools and Audacity - so as you can see, probably a little impractical to distribute online.
I'll need to consult with those further up the food chain regarding this and/or production of a non-Solent/Mahara version of this video and get back to you.

However, anyone in the community is free to use as is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOFSrV3QOWM

Thank you for the compliments by the way :-)

Roger

Account deleted

17 August 2009, 17:19

Hi Roger,
Agree that distribution with big files might be rather impractical. I'm just looking for a way that any university might use this as they introduce Mahara - the referencing of Solent would naturally deter many. To that end we would love to have a generic Mahara version made - i.e. actually namecheck Mahara a bit ;-). This would mean only small changes to the script (we could supply) and Leonie could read it through again? The animation would need the smallest of tweaks by removing the Solent logo on the opening screen and we could change the title to 'e-Portfolios using Mahara'. I know this is asking a bit but as an open source project we don't have a lot of resources to apply to marketing and this sort of resource would be handy for many. Naturally, attribution to Solent would stay and this is the sort of resource that could link from the homepage of Mahara.org.

cheers
Richard

Sam Taylor's profile picture

18 August 2009, 5:05

We'll see what we can do Laughing
Roger Emery's profile picture

18 August 2009, 11:40

Hi Richard,

Ok, have got the spend go ahead to do a 'Mahara' version.

We'll sort out a private space for those active in this thread and with an interest to discuss the script and visual changes.

May not come to fruition for a few weeks as we'll need to arrange re-recording, artwork and editingaround annual leave and other work.

Roger

Account deleted

18 August 2009, 16:14

Hi Sam and Roger,
That's wonderful news, many thanks - that'll be great. Perhaps put the script into the Mahara wiki or somewhere similar?

cheers
Richard

Account deleted

18 August 2009, 18:58

Someone could create a Mahara Group to co-ordinate? CoolCool
14 results