Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Upgrade of Mahara 22.10 Breaks Navigation / Theme

14 March 2023, 3:18

Hi All

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Our current version of mahara is Mahara version 22.04.3 (2022032213) and we use git to manage code. I tried switching branches to 22.10 and upgrading to Mahara 22.10 It seemed to work I didn't get any error messages however When i login the navigation bar and menu options are very broken, screenshot is attached of what I'm seeing (CSS maybe?) 

Site Functionality seems to work fine. I tried clearing the cache and checked permissions on the mahara-data folder and everything seems to be ok not sure what else could be the issue. 

• mahara-nav-error.jpg.1
Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 March 2023, 8:17

Hi Anthony,

Great to hear that your upgrade went well apart from the theme. Since you use Git, make sure to re-do the CSS via 'make css'. You will need to have npm and gulp installed for that. If you can't re-do the CSS on your server directly, you can do so on your local setup and then move the 'style' folder in place on the server. There are some pointers on the wiki on how to set up NPM and Gulp. We use NVM to manage the Node versions now which has made life a bit easier.

If you can't install Node and you are only using a built-in theme, you could download the zip file as that includes the style folder for each theme. Whenever you update your version of Mahara, even a minor version, it's good practice to re-do the CSS as we do make adjustments to it when we find issues. Often they are not as dramatic as you've run into with the major version upgrade, but nevertheless important.

Thank you

Kristina

Paul Taylor's profile picture

07 April 2023, 23:22

I have (had) the same issue and tried all of those fixes.  The Default, Maroon, and Primary School school themes work fine, but if you change to Ocean or Modern, which have the same top bar, it borks the theme and none of the interactive elements work at all.  If you add a block on the dashboard with these themes, it will not resize at all.

I tried all the npm fixes with git and finally copied over the latest zip file.  Either way, the two themes listed do not load properly, at leat for me.

• Screenshot from 2023-04-07 12-20-06.png
  • Screenshot from 2023-04-07 12-20-33.png

11 April 2023, 9:03

Hi Paul,

I can't see an issue with the two themes you mentioned on our demo site. When you are in git, were you running 'make css'? The screenshot looks like it's not created the style.css properly for the Ocean theme.

Thank you

Kristina

Paul Taylor's profile picture

12 April 2023, 3:06

Hi Kristina:

I am pretty sure I followed all of the instructions, though am juggling lots of things at present so might have overlooked it.  I noticed in these forums that I had almost the same issue with 21:10 or 22:04 so might well be pilot error :)

17 April 2023, 0:31

Hi Kristina

Thanks a million for that link. I eventually got it working. You were spot on i had to run the 'make css' to fix the theming issues however i had to jump through a few hoops before i finally got the make css working. For reference in case anyone else got stuck this is what i had to do: 

1) Follow the link to the wiki above kristina posted

2) INSTALL NPM

ONCE NPM was installed run the following commands: 

1) npm install -g gulp

2) curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/v0.39.3/install.sh | bash

3) export NVM_DIR="$([ -z "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME-}" ] && printf %s "${HOME}/.nvm" || printf %s "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/nvm")"
[ -s "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh" ] && \. "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh"

4) nvm install stable

5) nvm use stable

then i could finally run:

make css

which then fixed the issue. Thank you very much for all your assistance. 

Anthony 

19 April 2023, 8:15

Hi Anthony,

Great that you could install NPM / NVM and update your theme.

Cheers

Kristina

7 results