Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Installing Mahara on WAMP!

Aziiks's profile picture

31 August 2022, 11:28

I am new to Mahara and really interested to introduce to my Academy, I could not find detail steps on installing Mahara on google or youtube, please kindly assist me with this, I would really appreciate.

Thank you.

Doris ⚡'s profile picture

31 August 2022, 16:32

Hi Asi,

It's awesome that you want to introduce Mahara to your academy!~ :D

There are multiple ways to get an instance of Mahara up and running.

- Option 1 -

The quickest way is to download a zip file from our Launchpad at https://launchpad.net/mahara and follow the instructions in the README in the zip file. The latest stable release is Mahara 22.04.2. We will be releasing Mahara 22.10 in the second half of October.

- Option 2 -

A more custom setup would be to get the code from Git, set up a developer environment on a local computer, and then transfer files to a server. For a full dev environment setup, https://wiki.mahara.org/wiki/Developer_Area is a great place to start reading. Note that we develop Mahara on a Linux-based tech stack, so we won't be able to help much if you have Windows-related questions. However, we know that some people got it working with Windows.

Kind regards,

Doris

Aziiks's profile picture

09 September 2022, 17:33

Hi Dory2380,

Thanks alot for your prompt reply. I was able to install wampserver, I launched mahara successfully and I clicked install Mahara,  whilst performing installation I got the error in the first instance of installing core component/plugin error is 'Failed to upgrade.' See screenshot attached, please kindly assist me with this.

Thank you.

• Mahara Error.JPG
Aziiks's profile picture

10 September 2022, 10:38

Hi Dory2380,
Thanks alot for your prompt reply. I was able to install wampserver, I launched mahara successfully and I clicked install Mahara,  whilst performing installation I got the error in the first instance of installing core component/plugin error is 'Failed to upgrade.' See screenshot attached, please kindly assist me with this.

Thank you.

• Mahara Error.JPG

13 September 2022, 18:27

Hi Asi,
Can you please provide a screenshot of the error log for your Mahara site to figure out what is going on?

The site logs should be with your Apache logs.

Kind regards,
Doris

Aziiks's profile picture

14 September 2022, 17:47

Hi Dory2380,

Thanks so much for your reply and assistance, please see attached the error log retrieved in apache pasted on a notepad.

Thank you. 

• Mahara Error.JPG
  • Apache Error Log.txt

20 September 2022, 11:26

Hi Asi,
These logs don't seem to be for a Mahara site.
You can find the site's error logs according to the location specified in the server configuration file for your Mahara site.
Please attempt the installation again. The error log should include the line '(admin/upgrade.php:XX) Starting Mahara installation..., '. It will be most helpful to see this set of logs once you've found it.
Best,
Doris

Aziiks's profile picture

20 September 2022, 15:36

Hi Doris,

Thanks for your prompt responds in assisting me through this, kindly see attached the php error log notepad attached.

• PHP Error Log.txt

20 September 2022, 16:24

Hi Asi,

There seems to be something going on with the MySQL database. I suggest looking into your database configuration as the repeated error in the error logs point to database table column sizes. 

mysqli error: [1709: Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.]

By the way, what is the charset encoding and collation for your database?

Kind regards,

Doris

Aziiks's profile picture

20 September 2022, 17:35

Hi Doris,

Please see attachment, is charset and collation 2 different instance? sorry I'm quite new to wampserver and MySQL but very eager to get the hands on.

Do I need to increase the Index Column size?

Best Regards,

Asi

• Capture-MySQL.JPG
14 results