Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Supported Elasticsearch Version

26 February 2022, 6:56

Hello all,

currently I am trying to run Mahara 21.04  together with a recent version of Elasticsearch. Unfortunately I am not so successful with it.

As far as I know, Mahara currently uses the Elasticsearch PHP library in version 5.0, but this version only supports Elasticsearch up to version 6.

How does this work for you? I would be reluctant to run Elasticsearch in such a low version, especially because of the Log4j vulnerability.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

28 February 2022, 9:18

Hi Malte,

We are working on getting Elasticsearch upgraded to version 7 for Mahara 22.04 and are in the testing phase for it.

Please see the Elastic advisory on log4j2.

Cheers

Kristina

22 June 2022, 3:52

Any news on this? We are knocking our heads against the wall because we were trying to get Mahara to work with Elastic Search 8.

However, 'type' is deprecated and only worked until version 7. Can I adjust that somewhere in Mahara?

Doris ⚡'s profile picture

22 June 2022, 11:16

Hi Richard,

Mahara 22.04 has support for Elasticsearch 7. You can read more at the Mahara 22.04 release news post or at the  Elasticsearch 7 section of the 22.04 Mahara manual.

Kind regards,

Doris

Citizen Gold's profile picture

22 June 2022, 13:35

Hello Richard,

Just thought I'd throw my thoughts in here too.

As Doris mentioned Elasticsearch 7 is now available.  This is a new search plugin as the changes were so substantial that a simple upgrade wasn't that simple. Config is similar to the old elasticsearch. Just select "Elasticsearch 7" in the places it is an option for.

I've done rudimentary testing of Elasticsearch 8 with the Elasticsearch 7 plugin and it looked quite promising.

Regards,
Gold

Citizen Gold's profile picture

23 June 2022, 8:13

Oh...  Just to be clear, Elasticsearch 8 can be dropped in by setting the Elasticsearch 7 config form to point at the Elasticsearch 8 server.

My initial tests suggested that this worked okay. As mentioned though, they were rudimentary tests.

23 June 2022, 10:45

Hi Richard,

If you are planning on giving Elasticsearch 8 a go, it would be great if you provided some feedback on how it's working out for you to help the project have better data in terms of supporting it. :-)

Thank you

Kristina

23 August 2022, 21:16

It seems like we got this working by using the elasticsearch7 plugin from Mahara.

However, I'm now puzzled by what elastic search version we are running.

The good thing is: we can search. The bad thing is: wildcards are not supported. So we had to stop using this. If you want to search a person to work with together, or share your portfolio with, you now have to type in the exact correct name with correct spelling.

This can be difficult as we have many international students. We had to revert back to internal search which DOES allow partial name search.

A search engine that only finds exactly what you type in does not suit us.

25 August 2022, 8:17

See the other forum post for the funding part

9 results