Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Moodle 'export to portfolio'-option

08 October 2021, 1:57

We have noticed that, when using Moodle and Mahara, there's an 'export to portfolio' option in Moodle that sends files to the 'Mahara incoming' folder.

That is nice. But what we would really like, is not send just the file from Moodle to Mahara, but also the teacher's feedback. Is this possible?

Scenario:

1. Student develops a plan/essay/etc. and submits it as an assignment in Moodle
  2. Teachers gives feedback to the student
  3. Student creates a portfolio page in Mahara with 1) this submission, 2) the teacher's feedback, 3) a portfolio page that shows the development of this student and what the student has done with this feedback.
  4. Student submits portfolio to Moodle using the Mahara-assignment in Moodle

So this is all doable, but step 3.2 kinda makes it difficult. Do we say to student 'take a picture with your phone' of 'create a screenshot and upload it in Mahara'? 

Kinda weird right? The student can already export his/her assignment from Moodle to Mahara, it would be great if also the teacher's feedback (mostly textual, sometimes a rubric) could be send as .txt or .pdf file to 'incoming' folder in Mahara.

Any ideas on this?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

11 October 2021, 15:47

Hi Richard,

That 'Export to portfolio' option is only available for sites connected via MNet. Moodle HQ is thinking of removing the  'Export to portfolio' functionality from Moodle core and make it available in the plugins directory. At Mahara HQ we are not further developing functionality based on MNet as LTI is an option now in many LMS and thus a better one for us as a project because it allows us to connect to other LMS than just Moodle.

I wonder if you could turn your assignment onto the head a bit:

1. Student creates a portfolio page where they develop a plan / upload an essay / etc.
  2. Teacher gives feedback directly on those artefacts or on the page itself.
  3. Student improves on their portfolio content / adds more evidence and receives more feedback.
  4. Student submits the portfolio for final grading to Moodle.

Thank you

Kristina

13 October 2021, 3:41

Hi Kristina!

Thanks for your reply!

We have thought about what you are describing, but there are some downsides to that:

1. Student progress is monitored in the LMS (Moodle). Building a good portfolio can take quite some time. If we have all the in-between-feedback in Mahara, there's not a good progress report available.
  2. We are still having problems to enable feedback on separate artefacts. See other threat for this problem.
Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 October 2021, 13:48

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the additional information. Hopefully, the commenting issue you are experiencing will be resolved shortly. In order to progress with your original idea, the following would need to be analysed:

• What is needed to do to make the 'Export to portfolio' functionality in Moodle use LTI instead of MNet? I think this is a crucial part as MNet is an older protocol and the other MNet plugins already have an LTI equivalent that has additional features. Future features will be built with LTI rather than MNet. This investigation can be done no matter whether the functionality stays in Moodle core or becomes a plugin.
  • How should the feedback be transferred? Is it only on files? Or should online text and feedback be taken into consideration as well? Should the feedback become feedback on the incoming artefact in Mahara? What should the name be, e.g. if the person who commented on the file in Moodle doesn't have a Mahara account (yet)? What about privacy if they never have an account?
  • The timestamp of the comment should come across as well. Should there also be any other information displayed like 'feedback from Moodle'?
  • What about if a rubric is used? How could that be transferred? As a print snapshot attached as file?

These are a few things to think about at the top of my head if you want to make that a project that you wish to sponsor.

Thank you

Kristina

28 October 2021, 3:03

You are completely right, this request has a lot more to it. And your questions/considerations are valid. I don't have an answer for them.

Usually when I see this, I'm going back to the drawing board. The idea of copying feedback from Moodle to Mahara must be seen/achieved differently.

Let me brew on this for a while, like a good wine or beer, but not like a whiskey. That would take decennia 😬

5 results