Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Problems when registering group members in CSV

AB-Net's profile picture

25 May 2021, 19:49

Hi,

I want to use CSV to register members in a group.

Group permissions are considered to be managed by three types: members, tutors, and administrators.

Members want to be students, tutors are teachers, and admins want to be site admins or site staff.

For manual entry, site administrators and site staff can be group administrators.
If you register in bulk with CSV, you will not be able to register site administrators and site staff who do not belong to the institute.

When a site administrator or site staff creates a group, they are set as group administrators, even if they are not members of the institute.

Similarly, if you are a site administrator or site staff, will you be able to register group members in batch even if you do not belong to the institute?

Thank you.

AB-Net.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

31 May 2021, 21:05

Hi AB-Net,

People with staff permissions cannot upload CSV files. That is reserved to institution and site administrators.

Currently, only institution members can be added to groups associated with that institution via CSV upload. This is a safeguard to not add account holders from other institutions to an institution group by accident. You could remove that restriction as customisation on your site.

Cheers

Kristina

AB-Net's profile picture

01 June 2021, 0:01

Hi Kristina,

> Currently, only institution members can be added to groups associated with that institution via CSV upload. 

In my operation, the site administrator who does not belong to the institute also manages the group.

Currently, it is supported by manually adding an administrator after batch registration by CSV.

At the time of batch registration by CSV, I think it would be nice to be able to select whether to limit to institution members or not.

Thank you.

AB-Net.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

23 June 2021, 15:48

Hi AB-Net,

Currently, while groups are created and associated with an institution, anybody could still be added. The only way you can prevent that at the moment is if you used isolated institutions. However, that wouldn't work for you as you have your students and teachers in different institutions. They wouldn't be able to see each other any more.

You can file a wishlist item if you like or make a proposal for changing the behaviour for the group via an additional setting.

Thank you

Kristina

AB-Net's profile picture

23 June 2021, 18:12

Hi Kristina,

I understand.

For the time being, we will operate with the current method.

> You can file a wishlist item if you like or make a proposal for changing the behaviour for the group via an additional setting.

If I find it difficult to operate now, I will submit a wishlist item and make suggestions to change the behavior of the group.

Thank you.

AB-Net.

5 results