Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Alternative login page for a Mahara institution

Joan Forcada's profile picture

19 May 2021, 19:04

Hi everone, 

We have three institution and we want to have an alternative login page for one of them.

And this alternative page login should also have a specific address: mahara.com/alternativelogin

Can you help me please? How can I do that?

Really thanks.

27 May 2021, 23:34

Hi again,

Is there anyone that can help me please?

Thanks.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

31 May 2021, 20:53

Hi Joan,

This is currently not supported in Mahara. If you select a custom landing page, it will be site wide, but only apply to the dashboard. Creating an institution-specific one would be an idea that would need to be carefully considered because what do you do when you are in two institutions? Which page is being presented to you when you log in? Currently, Mahara selects one at random, i.e. the first institution in the list.

As for the URL: You can set up redirects on the server. A few years ago we had a site with two different URLs:

1. mahara.school

2. mahara.university

When someone logged in via the domain mahara.school a parameter was added to the site to present that 'mode's' login page. The account holders saw a different theme and thus had a custom homepage because the homeinfo.tpl can be changed per theme. When someone logged in via the domain mahara.university, they saw the regular Mahara site.

Could you actually work with the institution-specific static pages (see multi-institution limitation from above)? It wouldn't be a login page, but the dashboard would be different and only when they log out would they see the institution-specific homepage.

Cheers

Kristina

10 June 2021, 1:41

Hi again,

Can you give me more information about it please?

Thanks.

17 June 2021, 20:35

Tell me something please.

Thanks.

22 June 2021, 18:13

Can you give me more information about it? I need to solve it.

As soon as possible.

Thanks.

23 June 2021, 14:09

Hi Joan,

Apologies for not replying earlier. Forums are a free service from the community for the community and community members do their best to reply quickly, but sometimes it may take a bit.

For what did you want more information? The alternative institution page with theme or the theme switcher based on URL? The latter was done several years ago, and the code would need some updating. It is not available publicly. I mentioned it as an idea of what you could do. We can look into this for you and provide an estimate for the work, and maybe even provide an admin interface for it to manage that more easily. Any redirect would still need to be provided on the server level.

Thank you

Kristina

Andi Becker's profile picture

25 June 2021, 21:18

Hi Kristina
The Themeswitcher per URL woudl be a great asset to have. could you make it available for download.
As I understood you correctly it would work with ONE Mahara as Base but with several "parked domains" or are symlinked domains working too?

i.e. you install Mahara on different sites but always the same database, accessed from different domains

MaharaData for all Mahara Installations 

and than

www/domainA.com/maharaInstallation
www/domainB.com/maharainstallation
www/domainC.com/maharainstallation

or 

www/domainA.com/maharaInstallation
www/domainB.com/symLink to www/domainA.com/maharaInstallation
www/domainC.com/symLink to www/domainA.com/maharaInstallation

or

???

How is it working?
What for adjustments would to be made to the script your have?
What URLs would the people see actually. Could that also be a domain per Institution i.e. working for both sub and full domains?

04 July 2021, 20:42

Hi Andi,

I can't make that custom code available I'm afraid as it was a customisation that was specific to a client site, but it can be recreated. As far as I remember only the initial URL was special, but then all other URLs, e.g. when you navigated to a portfolio were the same as the main site, only that you had an extra parameter appended which indicated. It can get complex quite quickly.

My question for your scenario is: Is it paramount to give each institution its own URL when they are all accessing the same site? If you have lots of institutions and different use cases, would a different setup maybe be more favourable also in regard to privacy, jurisdictions, and localisations? You could do that with Docker instances on a Kubernetes cluster.

Cheers

Kristina

Andi Becker's profile picture

05 July 2021, 19:12

It depends Kristina.

There might be schools interested to have their own instances but often there will be schools who simply would like to use the same system because maintenance would be much easier from our side and they only would enter and mange the content. All of that could be done in one system but ot would be much easier to achieve the acceptance of those institutions if they and perhaps also their members and parents and teachers could access that system under their own domain names.

I remember that I was running before Mahara (long time ago) from different domain and it switched to the base domain. That is one option but much better would be to have a domain name even available in the subpages, which means it uses always the domain name from what domain it had been accessed. 

Concerning Languages we actually need here a multilingual system and not many systems in different languages ;-) so it is much more complex. But that option with many in many domains has no high priority right now - it is more of general interest.

Andi

10 results