Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
How to Use an LTI External Tool Link in Moodle for Login Only

Mike Fagioli's profile picture

02 December 2020, 3:28

Hi all! We've been testing using LTI connections in Moodle through external tools. Every time we create a link and click through, it presents some options about using that as an activity with submission/grading in Mahara, even when we turn off grading for that external tool activity in Moodle. I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere to the main question here: Is it possible to create an LTI link in the course for authentication only without it being tied to a submission activity? I'm thinking of something like what you could do with MNET where you have a link that just logs you in to the Mahara dashboard or the user's profile from Moodle. Thank you for your help!

-Mike

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

06 December 2020, 18:40

Hi Mike,

When you set up the LTI tool in Moodle, make sure to untick the option 'Accept grades from the tool' in the 'Privacy' section of the setup. See the screenshot in section 13.2.2 in the manual for where to find it.

Best,

Kristina

10 December 2020, 7:54

Thank you! That worked. I missed that in my studies of the manual. Much appreciated :)

10 December 2020, 20:39

Hi Mike,

Great that it works. Should that part be made clearer in the Mahara manual?

Best,

Kristina

11 December 2020, 8:46

Now I see how you did it makes sense. We usually approach the use of external tools in, perhaps, a strange way. Maybe it could be added to the Preconfigured external tool instructions at the top of the page you linked. There you can expand the Privacy section to set the default for accepting grades whether to disallow or delegate to teachers. Then you could mention the function there of delegating to teachers for accepting grades from the tool will use the external tool links as graded submission in Mahara. It would just be an opportunity at the beginning of this section to discuss the overall impact of that option being on or off. Thanks!

-Mike

11 December 2020, 13:50

Good point, Mike. I'll add it to my ToDo list as I think I'll need to add another section for Moodle to that page any way.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kristina

6 results