Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Integrate Web Conferencing with OpenMeetings

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

23 July 2009, 2:42

hi,

I was wondering if there is  demand for a Plugin for OpenMeetings, Open Source Web Conferencing. Similar to the integration of OpenMeetings into Moodle I can build a Plugin for OpenMeetings that integrates into mahara.

Is there need for such a Plugin?

You can get further information about OpenMeetings and demo:http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/

The integration would be realized using the SOAP Gateway of OpenMeetings:

http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/wiki/SoapMethods

people are interested in that plugin?

Account deleted

23 July 2009, 6:33

Hi - as far as I know, there's no such plugin yet. Sounds like it would be useful for groups to have!

If you're keen on building a plugin, we'd definitely give you as much help as we could. Do you have some ideas about where it would fit into Mahara, who could use it etc? 

Account deleted

23 July 2009, 7:18

the best place might be the Groups Sections,

an additonal Tab *Conferences* next to or before *Files*

if you go to that section you could at a first integration stage:

Add directly a Conference room into that page for every group by default. The room would be created automatically into OpenMeetings as soon as the first time somebody clicks on the Link and enters the room.

At a later stage you could think about an Admin panel to manage those rooms, for example that some user can add additional Rooms that are *moderated*, that means, users that enter that room have to wait untill a moderator enters the room. The moderater would be thendepending on the settings of the mahara configuration.

The way the application would be embeded would be via an iFrame and a some PHP-Libraries. Very similar to the Moodle Plugin. I can deliver that content if you can tell me how to get a Button in this menu that opens a separated page ^:)

sebastian

Account deleted

24 July 2009, 23:55

Hi - that sounds like a sensible way to integrate it Smile

To get a new tab on that page, you'll need to implement the group_tabs() method of the PluginArtefactOpenMeeting class you'll need to write. See artefact/file/lib.php for an example of how it adds the 'files' tab to the group section.

You'll want to create an artefact plugin to add the OpenMeetings support. It probably won't provide any artefact types (e.g. the 'file' artefact plugin provides files, folders etc.), but it will use the same APIs to hook into the group menu and display pages.

I hope that's enough of a hint to get you started - feel free to post back, or join #mahara on freenode and ask, if you need more guidance Cool

Account deleted

07 February 2010, 4:13

Hi, - Any Plugin for openMeetings or demo, beta version available at the moment? I would be interested in a link to test it out. Thanks

Andi 

Account deleted

14 February 2010, 14:25

hi,

no there is no Mahara Plugin yet, but you can try the Moodle Integration as sample Integration:

http://www.openmeetings.de:8090/moodle/

You can either bundle Mahara and Moodle and get OpenMeetings that way or refactoring the Plugin-Code, SOAP-Methods and integrate directly into Mahara should be no big deal.

Sebastian

6 results