Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Spam from Mahara every minute

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 July 2009, 13:11

Folks, I am getting this email every minute... What is wrong??

Re: Grouping Views into 'Websites' by Stephen C Thursday, 23 July 2009,  3:01 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The drag and drop issue is common among pretty much all sites that use that technique (Facebook, MSN, etc.). If the longer a page gets, the harder it is to drag and drop content further down the page, no matter which site you are on. Facebook's drag and drop can be especially difficult sometimes. It's just and annoyance that people have to deal with. I don't think it's something that can be corrected in code at this time. Browser makers probably need to tweak their software to make it work better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

To see and reply to the post online, follow this link:

http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=855#post4145

To unsubscribe from this forum, visit:

http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/unsubscribe.php?forum=48&key=53d9af8

Please do not reply to this message.

Account deleted

22 July 2009, 16:48

Hi. Looks like it was a fatal error in the Mahara cron job at just the wrong time, causing the e-mail to go out before it was marked as sent. I have now fixed it, and hopefully nobody should be getting any more e-mails like that.

Looking more deeply into the issue, it's clear we (I think it was me!) made a mistake with the forum post notifications - they should mark the e-mail as sent before trying to send it, so at least that way you'll get no e-mail rather than 300,000 Wink. We're going to fix that up.

As for the error itself, it was an out of memory error (damn memory_limit!). The cron job memory limit is going to be raised, and also we're going to rework a bit of code that caused the problem so it doesn't behave in this fashion.

In other news, it seems that the unsubscription code might have a bug - when everyone flooded to unsubscribe themselves from the forum, somehow I got unsubscribed too, so there's an issue in there we'll have to look at Undecided 

Unsubscribing wouldn't have helped, by the way - the message was already in the queue to be delivered to you at that point. It's possible that we should re-check subscription preferences before sending out queued notifications such as forum posts, I've filed a bug for that. 

We're sorry about all the hassle, everyone! Cry I know spam incredibly annoying, so being the cause of it isn't good Frown 

Account deleted

23 July 2009, 7:05

Just so everyone knows, we've deployed permanent fixes for this to mahara.org now. So unsubscribing should work, and even if cron crashes (which it's much less likely to now), it won't cause heaps of e-mail to be sent out.

Whew! Laughing

Account deleted

23 July 2009, 9:27

Thanks Nigel. 

A post by Account deleted was deleted

A post by Account deleted was deleted

6 results