Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Option 2: Create a basic theme off any built-in Mahara theme with only colour changes

Niklas Frost's profile picture

22 June 2020, 20:35

Hi ! Tries to follow the instructions on

https://wiki.mahara.org/wiki/Customising/Themes/19.04#Option_2:_Create_a_basic_theme_off_any_built-in_Mahara_theme_with_only_colour_changes

but I fail to find _theme-variables.scss when I come to the instruction:

"Make your changes in /theme/<your theme folder>/sass/utilities/_theme-variables.scss. You may need to add additional theme variables based on the parent theme: "

I can't even find that scss file anywhere in the 19.04 package and definitely not in any themes folders.  What am i Missing?

Best regards, Niklas

Cecilia Vela's profile picture

26 June 2020, 10:51

Hi Niklas,

Please check if the "subthemestarter" folder you copied is complete. I can see the _theme-variables.scss file is part of 19.04 releas:

https://github.com/MaharaProject/mahara/tree/19.04_STABLE/htdocs/theme/subthemestarter/sass/utilities

Cheers,

Cecilia

nur anees's profile picture

28 July 2021, 19:02

Hi! 

I've tried follow the step to Create a basic theme off any buit-in Mahara theme with colour changes.

There is some difficulties for me to compile the theme via gulp. 

When I compile gulp css, there is some error that state "The following task did not complete:css"

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 August 2021, 7:38

Hi nur,

Can you please provide more information?

• What version of Mahara are you using?
  • What is the operating system on which you try to compile the CSS?
  • What version of node do you have installed?

Thank you

Kristina

nur anees's profile picture

02 August 2021, 13:38

Hi,

I'm using Mahara version 20.10, using Windows for operating system and node version 14.17.0.

I'm try to create basic theme with the colour changes by using Primary School Theme as parent theme. But there is some error to compile the css where it state "The following task did not complete:css".

May I know is there any way or guideline  to compile the css?

Thank you.

29 November 2020, 11:21

Hi Niklas,

We've cleaned up the subthemestarter folder and instructions for Mahara 20.10. Give it a go on that version again, and it should be easier to get started.

Best,

Kristina

03 August 2021, 15:05

Hi Nur,

I'm afraid I can't help with Windows as that is not a supported operating system for Mahara and thus the normal commands that are listed in the support documentation may not work. Doris just tested Node 14 quickly on Ubuntu and the built-in themes in Mahara compiled correctly.

Do the regular themes compile? I.e. please remove your custom theme and compile. If that works, then there is something in the theme code that would prevent it from being compiled.

Thank you

Kristina

7 results