Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Certificate on server

Derrick Ward's profile picture

04 April 2018, 14:42

Hello

I have installed Mahara on ubuntu and have been able to configure LDAP authentication (all working OK).

I now need to install a wildcard ssl certificate to allow outside access to mahara.

Can anyone advise on the best way to manage the certificate.  Is there an application that I can use to manage the installation of the certificate OR do I just install it on ubuntu.

What is the best way to get the certificate on the server.

The DNS entry will be created and a public IP will be used so we have that covered.  Just need to work out how to install the certificate.

Is this the best place to ask this question OR can someone recommend another forum.

Derrick 

Patric Lougheed's profile picture

04 April 2018, 16:00

Hello Derrick,

It is super easy and free to use Lets Encrypt to generate a cert that needs to be renewed every three months, usually can be done through a cron job:

For Apache

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-secure-apache-with-let-s-encrypt-on-ubuntu-16-04

For NginX

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-let-s-encrypt-with-nginx-server-blocks-on-ubuntu-16-04

Lets Encrypt now gives wildcard certs but have not needed to set these up but there should be some tutorials up now.

Derrick Ward's profile picture

04 April 2018, 16:16

thank you for the reply.  I should have mentioned that we have a wildcard certificate that we have purchased from a 3rd party.

I am trying to work out how to upload the certificate to the server and determine the process for obtaining the key.

I assume I have to re-key the certificate with my 3rd party provider.  If so, how do I get the Certificate Signing Request (CSR) to allow me to re-key the certificate.

Once I have re-keyed the certificate how would I go about uploading the certificate to the server.

thanks 

Derrick

3 results