Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Text containing emojis are not accepted in Mahara MySQL DB

02 September 2017, 6:52

Hi everyone,

When we try to insert a text containing special characters like emoticons, the message is saved but truncated from the special character.

For example: "Some characters, like '𝑅' or emoticons '😊', produce the error."

it is reduced to: "Some characters, like '

There is the same issue in Moodle and we are migrating our databases from utf8 to utf8mb4 to solve the problem (they have created one script to migrate the database).

Does anyone have already migrated the Mahara database? Any feedback about this issue would be really appreciated.

Our environment: Mahara 16.10, MySQL 5.6

Thanks in advance, best regards.

Paula.

Cecilia Vela's profile picture

05 September 2017, 9:47

Hi Paula,

Thank you for reporting this, I could replicate the same error with MySQL. We have made a bug report to follow ths issue. When we have a patch that ensures Mahara is ready to handle utf8mb4, we will update that report.

You can follow the progress here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1714868

Regards,
Cecilia

14 February 2019, 3:07

Hi,

I see that the issue is closed.

Moodle got a migration script. I don't see one for Mahara. So to migrate an existing database the only way left is a dump and a restore. Is it the way to go ?

Thanks

Steve

Cecilia Vela's profile picture

11 March 2019, 15:19

Hi Steve,

At the moment we only fix the installation. I'm sorry we do not have a migration script yet.

Unfortunately I can't think of any other other way than a dump and restore. If you do it, please let us know how it goes in here.

Regards,

Cecilia

4 results