Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
learning evidence

Jason Dong's profile picture

18 October 2016, 18:05

All,

One of the most important features of ePortfolio is to track learning records,learner may use accumulated learning records to reflect on and/or to use some of them as his learning evidence. In such case a authenticated time stamp associated with the learing record is critical. But I as far as I know,in Mahara,there is nothing that a user could not tweak after its creation,like jouanl, the description and length of time in CPD etc. Could anyone help us by sharing with me your idea or practice on this problem? We have invested a long time to investigate mahara's viability in our setting, but the lack of this function/feature might force to other platform.

Best Regards

Jason

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

19 October 2016, 8:13

Hello Jason,

Every item you upload to Mahara or create on Mahara has a time stamp. The time stamp for artefacts can be seen on the details page (for files and notes) and on the timestamp for creating a journal entry or on the date of the comment. Yes, in some cases you can edit the item afterwards, which is not always to its detriment. ;-) It depends a bit on whether you'd like to have a living record that you expand on or a static record for compliance purposes.

Since Mahara is open source, you can make changes to the current behavior to achieve your desired functionality as timestamp information is already collected, just not displayed in all places or edits highlighted.

We also have a wishlist item for tracking revisions, which would allow you to review the portfolio on a timeline and see when content changed, was added, removed etc. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1157543 for more details. Work on that had already started a while ago, but hasn't continued. If you'd like to discuss contributing to that project, please let me know.

Cheers

Kristina

Jason Dong's profile picture

20 October 2016, 1:45

Hi, Kristina

Thank your very much for you explanation and information. In my another post, Robert Lyon helped us by providing a patch set on journal time stamp issue, we are working on that accordingly. The new function of reviewing portfolio on a timeline is a good feature from the prospect of pedagogy and this feature will give mahara a real edge over competitors. 

We are now in the phrase of ePortfolio selection and we do prefer mahara. The next step will be setting up an environment for running class in small scale. If we have a good result after the trial run, we might have resources to do more things and we probably have students joining us to do some hacking.

Best Regards

Jason

3 results