Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
time stamp of journal

Jason Dong's profile picture

14 October 2016, 21:43

Hi, All

Is this problem solved in the release of 16.10.0? I got confused answers from the 16.10.0 manual and the launchpad. What is the final feature of journal stime stamp if the fix is really included in the new release? Displaying initiall editing date or final updating date only? or both?

Best regards

Jason 

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

17 October 2016, 12:35

Hi Jason,

Can you please point me to the Launchpad bug / wishlist item that caused you confusion so I can check what the status is? We haven't made changes in 16.10 and the time stamp is still the date when the journal post was first saved. Anything else is a wishlist item.

Cheers

Kristina

17 October 2016, 15:56

Hi, Kristina

Here is the link,https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1381228, I might misinterpret the meaning of the log. But when will this bug be fixed/function be added, we think it is critical in our application.

Best Regards

Jason

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

17 October 2016, 22:33

Hello Jason,

We do not yet have a date for adding this feature to Mahara. It is a wishlist item. That means, the core team will get to it when we have time or when there is funding available. Alternatively, if you have a developer who'd like to add that functionality for you, and maybe even Mahara core, you are welcome to give it a go.

Cheers

Kristina

19 October 2016, 2:38

Hi, Kristina

Thank you for the clarification. We are now in the final stage of our evaluation phrase and this drawback really make us in a dilemma. Maybe we could do some simple hacking and wait for the formal release. We are thinking about making the edit icon of a journal invisible and in that way we avoid any editing afterwards. The user could comment on his/her own journal to continue his/her reflection and we also want to disable the edit icon of the comment. In such way, a track of journal and reflection is left behind as a evidence of learning. User could delete his journal or comment but can never change them. But when we look into the mahara code directory, we can't find where the journal code module is. There is no journal subdirectory in the artefact directory. Could you or any other engineers please give us some advice on finding the editing icon of journal and comments module?

Best Regards

Jason 

Robert Lyon's profile picture

19 October 2016, 9:10

Hi Jason

By the looks of things it shouldn't be too hard to get the journal last modified date to show alongside the creation date.

I've added a simple proof of concept patch https://reviews.mahara.org/#/c/7163/ to indicate what I was thinking when it comes to created and last updated dates.

Note: The patch was quickly put together and not fully tested

Feel free to take the concept and flesh it out more it should give you a guide as to what files need editing and where they live with Mahara

Cheers

Robert

20 October 2016, 2:57

Hi, Robert

Thanks a lot for the quick response and the patch works. But we are thinking about one step forward, how could we hack the code if we want the effect that the last updated time only be changed when the journal content is revised, when the user change the journal tags the last updated time remain unchanged. The pedagogy meaning behind this feature is that the learner/user could record his authentic learning record as a building block and later on he will come up with a knowledge/skill structure by putting these building block together. He could use tags to find those building blocks and updating journal tags is a way of reflection without changing the real learning record in history.I guess we have to do some coding within  mahara / htdocs/artefact/blog/lib.php , maybe around line 996, but I am not sure with it. I would appreciate if you could give us advice on this hacking. 

Best Regards

Jason

7 results