Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Open Badges Block Broken

Patric Lougheed's profile picture

28 September 2016, 12:27

Just a heads up that the Open Badges Block is not working correctly. The badges found are from Mozilla and not Passport and it is all duplicated. I have already submitted a bug report but thought that if anyone is using this block they should know of issues to save them some time. They will display badges but these errors are confusing my users.

The screenshot was taken on Mahara.org.

2016-09-27 16_16_06-Patric Lougheed's Profile - Mahara ePortfolio System.jpg

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

29 September 2016, 1:21

Hi Patric,

Can you please check if you have a second email address in your profile? I suspect that you do, but that email address is not hooked up to a backpack. That's why you get the message. Mahara 16.10 will show the email addresses for which the warning is meant so that there isn't a confusion.

Cheers

Kristina

Don Presant's profile picture

29 September 2016, 2:51

Hi Kristina:

I think there's more to it than that. It's broken for me too on my 16.04 version platform and it used to work.

I only have one email address on my Mahara account.

Open Badge Factory recently upgraded; not sure if that's a factor.

29 September 2016, 6:47

Yes, I do have two emails and both have accounts with Mozilla Backpack. I logged in directly with both accounts without issue but the block refuses to authenticate with the Mozilla Backpack. I even run my own backpack server and it was still working in the block so I think it is something that has changed on Mozilla's end.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Persona being replaced:

"We (DigitalMe) are working on the backpack as we speak - updating all of the code libraries to ensure that we have greater stability of the platform moving forwards as well as removing the Persona login option and replacing with Passport.js. This replacement will allow us to further develop integrations moving forwards. We are also carefully handling existing user data to ensure that there is a smooth transition from Persona to the new Login method."

Don Presant's profile picture

29 September 2016, 7:42

Hi Patric:

It's possible; DigitalMe will be demoing the replacement of Persona in the Backpack at Mozfest at the end of October, so now would be testing time...

I've mentioned this to Eric at Discendum, original authors of the display plugin and he said his team would look at it.

BTW, I've now removed the second email from my own Persona login and Backpack badges are still not working...

29 September 2016, 23:22

Hello Patric,

It could well be that they have already made some changes and broke the API. :-( I sent a mail to Eric trying to find out if his team is already fixing https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1628320

I didn't notice late last night that the warning had come up twice for the Backpack.

Cheers

Kristina

30 September 2016, 9:16

Hello,

Eric's team got back to me and pointed to https://github.com/mozilla/openbadges-backpack/issues/1081 The Backpack needs to fix a cert. Nothing that we can do on our end.

Cheers

Kristina

30 September 2016, 15:01

Yes! I just heard back through the Github ticket and the SSL has been fixed and badges are working for my site again. Thanks everyone for seeing a quick resolution to this issue. 

8 results