Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Equal signs appearing in notifications and messages

MarionMacDonald's profile picture

02 August 2016, 3:46

Hello

Since mid April, I've noticed that feedback placed on pages, replies to forum posts etc reach users' Outlook client with equal signs and extra spaces inserted in the text.  We narrowed this down to an issue with PHPMailer 5.2.7   We postponed any action since we expected to upgrade Mahara.

Does anyone have experience of this and know if it's possible to resolve this issue without upgrading?  We're on version 1.10.7

Regards

Marion

Aaron Wells's profile picture

02 August 2016, 12:05

Hi Marion,

You could try upgrading your site's copy of PHPMailer (without upgrading the rest of Mahara). It's located under htdocs/lib/phpmailer. Just remove the contents of that directory, download a newer copy of PHPMailer from Github ( https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/releases ), and place it into that directory.

Mahara uses an unmodified version of PHPMailer, and there aren't any compatibility-breaking changes listed in the PHPMailer changelog, so it should "just work". (Although, I haven't tested this myself.)

Cheers,

Aaron

MarionMacDonald's profile picture

03 August 2016, 1:10

Thank you very much for that Aaron.  I'll pass it on to our Mahara host and I'll keep you posted as to the verdict.

Regards

Marion

3 results