Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
image rotation

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

05 March 2016, 2:54

Hi

I am investigating this with our hosts already. Some image uploads which appear to display correctly when uploaded are rotating on uploading them to content area. I understand this may be because users phone doesn't have EXIF but can there not be a way of rotating images when they are uploaded to mahara?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

06 March 2016, 20:04

Hello Teresa,

We do not yet have the ability to rotate images upon upload to Mahara. This is on the roadmap for the mobile Mahara app. Currently, we are upgrading MaharaDroid to work on both Android and iOS and may not be able to get this going in that first major upgrade.

Cheers

Kristina

Stefan Meier's profile picture

12 December 2016, 9:13

Wouldn't it be convenient just to have a simple rotation function built in the mahara file explorer?

When editing fileproperties like name or description within mahara, that dialog does not look too cramped yet. Also in the image formatting options when editing text there would be space for a simple 90 degrees rotation button.

My students (highschool) don't use the app but like to access mahara via their browser on the phone.  It might not look as polished as on an app but it is fully functional unlike mahara droid and there is no setup needed.

I believe, rotating images with php is not too hard. I'm no php programmer but I have seen a promising sample for rotation jpg/png on stackoverflow and it is less than 30 lines of code

Looking forward to this functionality

13 December 2016, 8:54

Hello Stefan,

Can you please share the link?

Cheers

Kristina

13 December 2016, 10:16

I do not have permission to post links as I am a new user. But you can google

"php - How to rotate image and save the image - Stack Overflow"

Robert Lyon's profile picture

13 December 2016, 11:44

There is a wishlist bug report for this feature https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1272122

I've updated it with some questions that we will need to think about when implementing this in the future for Mahara

Feel free to add to it

Cheers

Robert

09 March 2017, 3:35

Hey I just got a different Idea:

How about we just define a css class which makes the browser rotate the image.

It would have to include support for the major browsers and it would need up to 3 additional buttons on the editor to set this attribute.

May be that's not the nicest solution but i could imagine it would be much easier to implement.

13 March 2017, 9:55

Hello Stefan,

Would that impact performance? Why would we need three buttons? Couldn't it just be one and you'd click it multiple times? The setting would still need to be saved in the database I think because we wouldn't want to rotate the image every single time.

Cheers

Kristina

Robert Lyon's profile picture

14 March 2017, 11:09

Thinking about this some more we could get away with 2 buttons.

Button 1: rotates the image clockwise 90 degrees on each click

Button 2: save choice

On clicking the 'save choice' button it records in the database the preferred orientation of the image

So next time the image is rendered on a page (or wherever) it is shown in that rotation from original

19 results