Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
New users unable to login

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

19 July 2015, 20:12

Hi,

We seem to be having an issue with out mahara install. New users we create are unableto log in (correct credentials are supplied, but incorrect log in details error given). We can still log in with the original Administrator accounts we created.

Any ideas as to what could be preventing people from logging in?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 July 2015, 7:37

Hi Alan,

Which version of Mahara do you use (please also mention the entire version number, e.g. 1.10.4 and not only 1.10)? Which authentication method do your users have? Sometimes, esp. with external authentication, user accounts are not created when the limit of user accounts has been reached (usually only relevant on sites that have multiple institutions set up).

Does the error log give any more details about the error?

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

22 July 2015, 8:49

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for the reply. We were using 15.04.1 with the standard authentication. We upgraded to 15.04.2 and that appears to have fixed the problem. One other problem we are having (not sure if related) is on login, none of the icons or info on the dashboard load. The user then needs to login in again if they click any link, after which the site works perfectly. We have always had this problem. Have you experienced this before?

Thanks,
Alan

22 July 2015, 11:25

Hello Alan,

Great that your initial problem is solved.

As for the three links Create, Share and Engage: They are not links on the homepage when people are logged out because they link to the content, portfolio and group area which cannot be accessed when you are not logged in. Hence, why they only become links when you are logged in.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

22 July 2015, 12:51

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry but I did not explain myself very clearly. If the user has some items on their dashboard, such as the inbox or recent posts etc, these do not load (we have the spinning loading image, however it never goes away) also the icons next to the title do not load either. If the user clicks to go to the content tab (or any other tab) using the nav bar, they have to log in again. After doing this the site works fine. If an administrator clicks on the administrator tab on the menu bar, the same thing happens.

Thanks,
Alan
Aaron Wells's profile picture

22 July 2015, 19:00

Hi Alan,

Interesting, it sounds like you're having some problems with your web server forgetting the users' session between page requests.

That would explain why they have to log in again after each page load. And it would explain why the dynamically-loaded blocks aren't working (each of those is loaded by a separate ajax request).

We did fix some session issues in Mahara 15.04.1 (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1446036 ) but, not in 15.04.2, so I don't know why that suddenly started working for you.

Could you tell me:

• what web server & version are you using (i.e. Apache 2.3)
  • what PHP version you're using
  • what web server operating system you're using

Cheers,

Aaron

Account deleted

23 July 2015, 10:36

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the help, I will get you the information this evening.

Interestingly it only happens once - after we have logged in for the second time, we don't have to again and the site works perfectly. It did this with both 15.04.1 and 15.04.2.

Cheers,
Alan
Account deleted

25 July 2015, 18:59

Hi Aaron,

We are using:

- Apache 2.4.12

- PHP 5.5

- Linux

Many thanks,
Alan

Account deleted

29 July 2015, 22:59

Hi Kristina/Aaron,

Have you got any more advice? we are unfortunately still experiencing this issue. I have also just recently noticed that we are unable to add new institutions - we get a "principal network is unavailable" error. Have you heard of this before? I am not sure why we are getting this, as it stock mahara besides a theme.

Thanks for your help,
Alan

30 July 2015, 15:20

Hello Alan,

What database are you using and also what flavour of Linux do you have? There are many different ones around and knowing the one you use would be helpful (incl. version number).

Thank you

Kristina

13 results