Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Disabling registration confirmation email

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

15 May 2015, 18:03

Hi Mahara Community

I'm hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction for how to disable the confirmation email on a users first login?

I currently have set up my institutions local install of mahara configured to authenticate against our internal active directory via the LDAP auth plugin. This means that all of my users already have a username and password and I have no need to verify their email address after first login. 

Is there some way I can configure Mahara to no longer require the initial confirmation email so that my users can log in immediately after they have entered their username and password for the first time? 

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers
Nick

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

17 May 2015, 17:10

Hello Nick,

Normally, when you have LDAP configured, your users don't get an account confirmation email. What is the text in the email that your users receive, please?

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

18 May 2015, 12:51

Hi Kristina.

Glad to hear that the email registration isn't the default behavior with LDAP auth as I was hoping we didn't have to develop to change this functionality. 

I've copied the email I've received previously in my DEV environment on initial login. I received this email after logging in successfully with my institutions LDAP credentials, and after hitting submit when asked to verify my email address. 

Perhaps there is an LDAP setting or configuration setting that I've missed somewhere? As an aside, I have noticed that we have both LDAP and internal auth providers configured for the institution. Does Mahara require LDAP to be the only provider configured for it to bypass the user registration emails? 

Thanks for your help! 

Cheers
Nick 

~~~~
Subject: Email validation
Body:

Hello Nick,

You have added the email address n.kays@   qut.edu.au to your user account in Mahara. Please visit the link below to activate this address.

https   eportfolio-dev.qut.edu.au/artefact/internal/validate.php?email=n.kays%40qut.edu.au&key=qv4k8wDnTJi0Gxzb"&gt

If this email belongs to you, but you have not requested adding it to your Mahara account, follow the link below to decline the email activation.

https   eportfolio-dev.qut.edu.au/artefact/internal/validate.php?email=n.kays%40qut.edu.au&key=qv4k8wDnTJi0Gxzb&decline=1">

Please do not reply to this message.

~~~~~
*Links modified so I was able to post. 

18 May 2015, 15:49

Hello Nick,

This message is usually only sent when you add a second email address to your user account. It needs to be verified so that another person doesn't add your email to their account. ;-) Could it be that your LDAP server doesn't send the email addresses through upon account creation? That would be the only time I could imagine when Mahara asks you to provide an email address. One email address is required per user and thus, if LDAP doesn't send an email address through, Mahara would ask for that upon the first login.

Can you please check what your LDAP sends? If you have two accounts, one internal admin account and then an account for your LDAP, you could remove the LDAP account and recreate it again on your dev instance.

Mahara can handle different authentication methods. Often, an admin would have an internal account so that they could log in even if the associated LDAP, CAS, Shibboleth, SAML etc. were not accessible. That way, they also know that they are logged in as admin and not as regular user.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

26 May 2015, 17:41

Thanks Kristina.

On initial login, I am asked to provide my email address, which does lend me to think you might be on the right path. I'll do some digging to see if and why LDAP isn't sending the email address through as it looks like I've set up the right LDAP field for email.

Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know how I go. 

Cheers
Nick

27 May 2015, 10:26

Hello Nick,

Sounds good to me. Good luck hunting things down.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

28 May 2015, 14:38

Hi Kristina.

Happy to report that I appear to have now fixed the problem.

As you suggested, the LDAP credentials I was using did not have access to the email address attribute, and as such, when users logged in they were forced to enter and then confirm their email address. I configured Mahara to use different LDAP credentials that did have access to the user's email address attribute. All fields are now populated as expected and users are no longer required to confirm their email addresses on initial login.

Big thanks for all of your help.

Cheers
Nick

29 May 2015, 8:39

Hi Nick,

Great to read that switching LDAP credentials fixed the issue.

Cheers

Kristina

8 results