Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Server + Sizing help

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 June 2009, 19:16

Hi - no, not everything is stored in the database. Uploaded files, sessions and some other things are stored in 'dataroot' - which is just a directory on disk. It needs to be accessible by all the webservers so any one of them can serve files, and hand a request for any user's session.

I'm afraid I have no idea what Hive is. We've previously used nfs to mount a share off a file server (no SANs where I am), with success.

Account deleted

01 August 2009, 1:37

Hi Neil we're looking at a similar sized Mahara installation - 1 million users with a GB for each - could you post any updates on your implementation?
Account deleted

10 August 2009, 5:20

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay in replying.  At the moment we have had to suspended the implementation because of other projects which have become more critical.  I'm hoping that we will start again with the Mahara implementation in the coming months.  I will post more details when it gets going again.

Account deleted

14 June 2009, 21:00

Hi Neill,

If it's any help - we have been running Mahara on CentOS 5.x (which is basically identical to RHEL5) for quite a while (since version 0.8.x) and there are no issues with this whatsoever. CentOS & RHEL have been our preferred production hosting platform for years now.

From our experience the choice of DB is probably more of an issue than the OS Distro. Mahara is better tested on PostgreSQL than on MySql - but having said that - we have been running all of ours on MySQL.

As for VMWare - no issues there - most of our installations are on VMWare Blade Servers.

In terms of clustering - we are looking at the same issue at the moment - so I can't give practical feedback. However - I can not foresee any issues with this as we have run Moodle in clustered environs for a while.

HTH,

Leo

Account deleted

15 June 2009, 2:29

Hi Leo,

Glad to hear you haven't had problems with RedHat based OS.  I'm a bit restricted in some areas as our stuff needs to sit in an Enterprise world and needs mainstream support - hence RedHat.

I'm going to have to see about the PostgreSQL vs MySql - support and maintenance are going to be my biggest issue.  But I don't think I have much of a choice given the volumes we are talking about.

I'd appreciate some feedback on how you get on with your cluster work.  Likewise happy to help if you get into problems.

Cheers

Neil 

Account deleted

27 June 2014, 23:34

Hi,

I have the same problem, I specifically need to know the hardware requirements for different volumesbased on the following 3 scenarios :

-          5 courses with 200 students each

-          1 college/school with 100 courses and  50 000 students

-          Everyone : 6000 modules with 400 000 students

Please help... please

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture
17 results