Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Rubrics for Artifacts

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

11 December 2014, 7:08

Hi all,

I am a part of a team working on using Mahara as a platform for a national certification. One issue we have come across is using rubrics for judging artifacts.

Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Cheers

Leanne 

Don Presant's profile picture

11 December 2014, 8:21

Hi Leanne:

Do you mean are there rubrics available, or how would you use rubrics with Mahara?

If the latter, by underlying philosophy, Mahara tends to be learner-centred rather than teacher-centred, though the line has been moving toward the teacher over the years (ie adding more useful tools for teachers). That said, I'm not aware of embedded rubrics for Mahara such as may exist on other platforms. My best suggestion would be copying a simple standard text table into comments for feedback on the artefact.

On the other hand, perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question entirely!

Account deleted

12 December 2014, 5:18

Don,

Thanks so much! We are providing users with rubrics for their artifacts. We would like to have the rubrics for review before they assemble their portfolio- to help them guide the users. 

Our struggle is where they should live to be accessible. 

12 December 2014, 6:33

Hmm... this makes me think of what Roger Emery (@SolentRoger) is doing at Southampton Solent with embedded javascript help sprites that pop up in Mahara at certain points to support the learner with a task.

It's a bit of a hack, so non-trivial, but possibly helpful.

He appears to be talking about it in this MUG meeting from November, but I can't get the audio to work for me..maybe you can? If not, you can try reaching out to him.

https://purchase.adobeconnect.com/_a880362655/p4dfzs81s75/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal

12 December 2014, 6:40

The audio works for me, Don.

-dajan

Account deleted

12 December 2014, 7:15

Don,

Thanks so much! This audio is working great for me- listening now! 

Leanne

14 December 2014, 2:38

Another thought on this topic.

Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI 2.0) is coming to Mahara, to enable a more robust submission workflow to Moodle.

Is there a rubric tool in an LTI-enabled platform you're already using that could be used? In Moodle perhaps?

Just spitballing really - I haven't thought this through. Maybe the javascript hack is easier. But I feel there is more potential to LTI than just SSO and assignment submission.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 December 2014, 16:11

Hello Don,

We are currently reviewing the LTI implementation that we had proposed back in 2011 as times have changed and there may be other / better ways of doing that as a very recent review of the proposal has shown due to the web services work that we are doing (as part of removing MNet dependency).

Cheers

Kristina

12 December 2014, 6:24

Hi Leanne,

Maybe one way to guide the students in providing what you want for evaluation, is to ask them to copy a page-template you create in their group.

On this template you place mainly text area in which you describe what you want the student places instead (journal, reflexive text, file, ...).

To clarify what you expect from students, I have used many times the JISC's document to define OpenBadges (http://www.jiscrsc.ac.uk/media/421718/jiscopenbadgesdesigntoolkit-print_1.pdf). This pdf forces you to be clear about what you want to say that a skill is granted to the students. I have used this last Monday to help teachers in healthcare to determine what was expected to be assessed on a Mahara page.

Strong stuff, but efficient in the end.

Then when you have all the criteria it is easier to build a template-page with direction for the students.

Hope this helps

-dajan

Account deleted

12 December 2014, 7:14

Dajan, 

That is the path we were headed down. It seems like the most viable option for our needs. 

This is the first time I have run across the JISC document and it could be helpful for our users. 

Appreciate the help!

Leanne 

15 results