Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Upgrade and now nonrecoverable errors

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 April 2014, 14:48

Hi,

I just upgraded from 1.7.2. to 1.7.5. I am now receiving non-recoverable errors on Site Options and on Share page/edit access.

I use  IIS and MYSQL. I have the old site backed up and will try to revert but would like to use the upgraded version.

Any ideas?

Aaron Wells's profile picture

10 April 2014, 15:50

Hi Paul,

I just did a clean install of 1.7.2 and updated it to 1.7.5, using MySQL on my work machine, which is running Ubuntu. So, it's possible that this is an IIS/Windows problem. Do you see any error messages in your PHP error logs? I have no idea where these logs would be for IIS. Wink

Cheers,

Aaron

Account deleted

13 April 2014, 17:46

Hi Aaron,

Thanks! Apparently, according to our server guy, IIS does not produce error logs. At least, he never heard of them and has no idea where to look.

I am getting the "unrecoverable error" message from a several pages including the Site Options and Shared by me pages.

I just discovered this morning that non-administrators are not able to open their profile pages. So, I am going to try and restore 1.7.2 and hope for the best. 

I guess no one else is having these propblems? I have only installed a few extra modules and in fact have a number of them turned off as I do not want anyone to store their work inside the Mahara installation (for this exact reason). Everything goes into external blogs and cloud storage.

I'll let you know what happens.

Paul

Account deleted

13 April 2014, 18:35

Help! I am trying to restore the database which I exported before doing the upgrade. When I try to import, I get the following error:

There seems to be an error in your SQL query. The MySQL server error output below, if there is any, may also help you in diagnosing the problem

ERROR: Unknown Punctuation String @ 12
STR: //
SQL: 
DELIMITER //
CREATE TRIGGER `update_unread_insert_trigger` AFTER INSERT ON `notification_internal_activity`
 FOR EACH ROW BEGIN

IF NEW.read = 0 THEN
                    UPDATE "usr" SET unread = unread + 1 WHERE id = NEW.usr;
                END IF;
                END
//

SQL query:

DELIMITER // CREATE TRIGGER `update_unread_insert_trigger` AFTER INSERT ON `notification_internal_activity` FOR EACH ROW BEGIN IF NEW.read = 0 THEN UPDATE "usr" SET unread = unread + 1 WHERE id = NEW.usr; END IF; END //

MySQL said: Documentation

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '"usr" SET unread = unread + 1 WHERE id = NEW.usr;
                END IF;
      ' at line 5 

Aaron Wells's profile picture

14 April 2014, 12:33

Hi Paul,

I believe the problem you're having here is that the trigger procedure's code is using double quotes (") as a schema item delimiter, whereas MySQL by default (and presumably your SQL dump) is using backticks (`).

Try just removing the double-quotes from around the word "usr" in the trigger's code. I believe "usr" is not a reserved word in MySQL, so that should be fine.

Regarding your problems with 1.7.5, by Googling "iis php error log" I see that you should be able to get the PHP errors to go somewhere by using the "log_errors" and "error_log" settings in your php.ini file. So, perhaps you can try that on your test server in order to troubleshoot the problem. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4764230/where-does-iis-7-5-log-errors

Cheers,

Aaron

Account deleted

14 April 2014, 14:57

I tried removing the double quotes and replacing them on the first instance of usr only and then on all three that appear in that location. No luck. I found this exchange on the Mahara forum (https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=4839) but cannot follow the instructions. When I try to just import the sql file, i get an error saying no database selected.

One more try!

Tobias Zeuch's profile picture

14 April 2014, 19:30

Hi Paul,

how did you try to import the sql-file, with phpmyadmin? If so, make sure you navigate to the database you want to import into, before importing the file. If you import the file from the sql-host-level, phpmyadmin doesn't know which database to import into unless it's specified in the sql-file with 

USE database_name;

Cheers,

Tobias

Account deleted

15 April 2014, 18:49

Hi Aaron and Tobias,

Thanks so much for your help. Aaron, your first recommendation was correct. It was the double quotes. However, it was also 'backtick' versus apostrophes. I had only changed the double quotes to apostrophes for the 4 usr instances. This gave the same error. So, then I changed the apostrophes to backticks for all 4 instances of the usr and that worked. I was able to restore the database.

So, I am back 1.7.2 and will stay there until the end of the semester. Then we will go for 1.9.

Thanks again for your help!

Paul

Account deleted

13 April 2014, 18:59

Hi,

Apparently, I cannot reinstall the exported database and the server guys here say it is something with the mahara database setup. I am in a bit of a pickle now! 

Any suggestions at all?. This is a bit of a disaster in the making.

PAul

9 results