Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Directory not writable - server of Mahara issue?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

05 April 2014, 0:16

I've installed Mahara but it won't configure. I've pasted the error message I'm getting below. IDoes anyone know if the solution to this an adjustment that needs to be made within Mahara or is it a server issue?

Thanks,

Ed

Mahara: Site unavailable

Your defined data root directory, /var/www/vhosts/s516580282.websitehome.co.uk/site1/maharadataFdA/, is not writable. This means that neither session data, user files nor anything else that needs to be uploaded can be saved on your server. Please make the directory if it does not exist or give ownership of the directory to the web server user if it does.
(Your server has the php open_basedir restriction enabled. Mahara can only open files within the following path(s): /var/www/vhosts/s516580282.websitehome.co.uk/:/tmp/.)

05 April 2014, 1:09

Hello, Have had a look in the forums on Mahara.org. Because other people with the same kind of problem have already asked the same kind of question.

Usually the answer you will find is that you may have a problem with the owneship and authorisation rights on your folder.

Two things then :

1) It would be better to move your datafolder to another place. Leaving it inside the root folder of your website is very important security issue.

2) Change the ownership of this folder so your webservice can use it. If your webservice is Apache, then the username is www-data and the group is the same. So do :

chown -R www-data:www-data /path/to/your/maharadata/folder

chmod -R 775 /path/to/your/maharadata/folder

This has already solved folder access problems in the past and maybe yours will be solved the same way. If not, come back here for more specific help.

Hope this helps

Regards,

-dajan

2 results