Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Users added via XML-RPC do not have a text box in their Profile Introduction field (?)

Don Presant's profile picture

21 February 2014, 4:47

Hi, I'm posting here to make sure I'm not missing something, prior to registering this as a bug. I'm working in a new Mahoodle system (Mahara: 1.8.1 Moodle: 2.6+ (Build: 20131224)) running on LAMP

When a user is created in Moodle and uses XML-RPC to create an account in Mahara, the Profile for that new Mahara user does not contain an editable Introduction field, just the characters "---".

If I upgrade the user to Site Admin, they do have an editable Introduction field.

If I create a new user directly in Mahara they do have an editable Introduction field.

If I make the Introduction field mandatory, I get a bizarre message showing me the Introdcution text field alone, along with a command to change my Password. Typing text into the field and clicking Submit adds makes that text replace the "---" in my still-uneditable field on the first Profile page.

Bug?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

24 February 2014, 22:48

Hello Don,

When you come from Moodle, your Moodle profile description becomes the introduction in Mahara. When people didn't add anything in their Moodle profile, I just shows the dashes. If you ticked the checkbox "Update user info on login", Mahara checks the Moodle database if a change was made to the description and then puts the new one into Mahara. Thus, this is not a bug, but a feature. :-) In a very early version of Mahara (1.2), this field was editable despite having "Update user info on login" turned on and users got frustrated that their text was always overwritten by the Moodle one when they logged in next.

If you did not tick the checkbox "Update user info on login", we'd need to investigate / it's like to be a bug.

Cheers

Kristina

Don Presant's profile picture

25 February 2014, 5:10

Thanks Kristina, that makes perfect sense.

It's all working correctly, now that I know to switch in on/off in the configuration for XML/RPC.

Have a great Mahara Hui!

3 results