Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Importing

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

17 February 2014, 14:51

I want to import a Mahara eportfolio I developed through CQU to a stand-alone Mahara (ie not CQU) but under the Portfolio tab there is no IMPORT option per the User Manual.  How do I import my old Mahara (saved as a Leap2A file) into my new Mahara?

steve P's profile picture

18 February 2014, 14:50

First, make sure the correct version of Mahara is installed on the server you are trying to import on (needs to be 1.8+)

Second, if it's the right version, make sure the site administrator has switched on the plugin required for imports.

Hope this helps.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

19 February 2014, 7:07

Hello Karen,

If you do not have Mahara 1.8 for importing a portfolio as a user, you can import it as an admin under Administration -> Users -> Add user. In this case, a new user will be created though.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

19 February 2014, 14:14

I am trying to build an eportfolio directly onto the mahara.org site ... so I'm assuming they use the most up to date version.  I cannot see anywhere for an 'Administration' section.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 February 2014, 3:25

Hello Karen,

We just switched the site to Mahara 1.8, but you won't have luck importing your portfolio as we only provide limited amount of space. Mahara.org is the site for community discussions but not for building portfolios. We are not set up to support users with their personal portfolios at this point. Thus, we suggest you import your portfolio into a site that supports the building and maintaining of Mahara portfolios. I know that http://portfoliocommunities.com/ has already upgraded to Mahara 1.8 and that you'll have more space available there. Other possibilities are listed at https://groups.diigo.com/group/everything-mahara/content/tag/hosting

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

21 March 2014, 3:02

Hello Kristina,

I've got a problem with importing too.

I want to export a leap2-portfolio from our 1.6.2 testserver and import it on our 1.8.1 system.

Export is fine, I get a zip without warnings or errors.

Import starts, but doesn't show me the content of the portfolio for merging. It just comes back to the upload-dialog for the leap2-file showing the error "No file-name chosen".

Export/Import on 1.8.1 only seams to work.

Do I have a chance getting the old portfolio of a very active student testing for us into our new system?

Greetings from FernUniversität

Brigitte

Robert Lyon's profile picture

21 March 2014, 8:21

Hi Brigitte,

A reason this issue can happen is due to how you site is set up.

Normally when one tries to import a leap2a file it goes through this process:

1) User picks leap2a file to upload.

2) Mahara system layer tries to upload the file to process it and returns any mahara related errors if there are any.

But if the leap2a file is bigger than the maximum allowed 'upload_max_filesize' and / or the 'post_max_size' settings in the undelying PHP layer then nothing is returned to mahara layer to process and it thinks no file has been chosen.

To get this sorted out one usually needs to:

A) find out the size of the leap2a file that they are trying to import

B) Adjust the PHP 'upload_max_filesize' and 'post_max_size' settings in php.ini file are larger than the leap2a file size (You may need to get a sysadmin to do this if you do not have access to server settings yourself).

Cheers

Robert

Account deleted

25 March 2014, 21:59

Hi Robert,

thanks for your answer.

My leap2a-file has about 2MB, both PHP variables are set to 50 MB.

Do you have another idea?

Greetings

Brigitte

Aaron Wells's profile picture

26 March 2014, 12:29

Hi Brigitte,

From what you've described, it should work. We do try to make sure that Leap2a files from older versions of Mahara (and from other applications entirely) can be imported into Mahara.

Can you import other Leap2a files into your target Mahara site, or is it only this particular file that is causing problems? If it's just one particular file, then that may indicate a bug in our code. In which case, the most helpful thing would be if you could file a bug report on the bug tracker ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara ) and attach a copy of the Leap2a file that is causing the problems.

Although... since it's a student's Leap2a file, it's probably not possible to share it due to privacy concerns. In that case, if you could check for any error messages in your web server's error logs, that would also be helpful.

Cheers,

Aaron

25 March 2014, 23:03

Hello Brigitte,

I had a similar issue with a previous version of Mahara. My solution was:

1. to import the student's portfolio into the same Mahara's version on a virtual server
  2. to uprgrade the server up to the same version as the foreign Mahara host
  3. export the student's portfolio
  4. import the student's portfolio into the foreign Mahara

If it is not urgent, I can help you with this, having serveral virtual machine on my computer. But the two next weeks are busy here. Let me know.

Regards,

-dajan

16 results