Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
emails when sharing to public and logged in users

dan attwood's profile picture

11 February 2014, 21:23

I have several students that keep adding 'public' and 'logged in' users to their pages. This then generates an emial that goes out to all users in the system. This is proving to be very anoying to other users of the system as they are reciving these emials but aren't heavy users of mahara.

Is there a way in which these emails can be stopped?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

19 February 2014, 8:20

Hello Dan,

Did you make a change to your Mahara instance? Normally, there are no mails sent when pages are shared with the public or logged-in users.

Cheers

Kristina

20 February 2014, 22:03

We've not made any changes to the code base at all other then some langauge strings.

I can't remember ticking any boxes in the admin panel. The only thing out of the ordinary things we do is to automaitcally create users in the users tables. However I've just manually create a user to test and their 'disable' mail' checkbox isn't ticked by default.

Aaron Wells's profile picture

21 February 2014, 12:37

Hi Dan,

Mahara doesn't send out a notification when you share a page with "Public" or with "Logged-in Users". It will send out a notification to these types of people when you share the page with them:

1. Individual users

2. Members of a group, if the group has "Shared page notifications" turned on.

3. Friends

(You can see the code for this in the constructor for the ActivityTypeViewaccess class in lib/activity.php.)

Perhaps what's happening is that you have a group with "Auto-add users" and "Shared page notifications" turned on, and users are sharing pages with that group? In that case, every user account on the site would get a notification.

If that's the case, just turn off "Shared page notifications" for these groups.

Cheers,

Aaron

21 February 2014, 21:18

ahh I've found it.

When we auto renrollthe users we also add them to a public forums group. This group had 'shared page notifications' turned on and students had been sharing their views to it.

I've now turned off this notification and are working to removed the shared views from this forum.

5 results