Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
building a E-portoflio "guided"

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

04 February 2014, 21:03

Hello,
I work for a company that develops and manages software and provides services for the public administration, in particular I take care of training.
We are experimenting with Mahara. It seems to me that all these Mahara free fields, since not all individuals have the ability to analyze their own work activities to the point to bring out the evidence, I need to know if you happen to have had experience of building e-portfolio "guided "perhaps with implementation of selection lists.

Thank you very much for your cooperation

Don Presant's profile picture

05 February 2014, 2:04

Hi Letizia:

There has been a little discussion about "wizards", but no coding in that direction as far as I know.

In my projects, we mostly use templates, i.e. copyable pages containing blocks with highlighted hints which the user removes as they add their real content.

We also use example portfolios and parts of portfolios, both real and idealized.

If you're good at XML, something worth looking at is the Survey plugin by Gregor Anzelj, based on the MyLearning plugin. Users answer questions and generate graphical representations of their answers.

And if you want to create a multi-step wizard that accepts content and publishes pages, you will earn my sincere admiration. That would be a great way to show new users how Mahara works in a hands-on way and guide them to create relatively standard pages early on.

HTH,
Don

Account deleted

05 February 2014, 17:12

Hi Letizia, Don,

At the Mahara conference in March myself and Misty Kirby from University of Canberra will hopefully be presenting on a project along these lines. We are currently gathering data from research, local context (focus groups, etc) and working with Catalyst to develop a full design based on this evidence and user needs analsys with feature/interface specifications and costings. We look forward to gathering feedback and ideas from those at the conference and hack fest to help refine the feature design.

Cheers,

Shane.

Account deleted

06 February 2014, 4:10

Hi Don, Shane,

thank you very much for your suggestions.
Unfortunately I will not be in Canberra, but I am very interested to know of any developments. In the meantime, I am continuing my search.

Cheers.

Letizia

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

06 February 2014, 14:19

Hello Letizia,

If it helps, Mahara Hui, the conference Shane was talking about, will be held in Wellington, New Zealand.

Cheers

Kristina

Don Presant's profile picture

06 February 2014, 6:21

Hi Shane, sounds very promising! I hope the scoping leads to a funded project, and that the hack fest provides some interesting ways forward. I wish I could go, but I have the world's worst boss (me).

Account deleted

21 July 2015, 21:21

Hello, do you have any news about this meeting? I am really interested on creating a kind of guide for helping our affiliated institutions to start to use Mahara.

Do you know if there is something like that already done? More than ever, to take it into account and follow its development.

Kind regards!!!

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

22 July 2015, 11:35

Hello Margari,

Thank you for your post. The hui took place last year and Misty and Shane presented on SmartEvidence. This year, Shane and I provided an update at the Moodle-Mahara Meetup in Adelaide. You can find out slides and the link to the recording at http://slides.com/anitsirk/smartevidence

Cheers

Kristina

8 results