Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Display issues MS Surface RT

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

27 January 2014, 8:18

Dear All,

I have recently encountered display issues that have left me stumped.

We are trialling mahara with a group of students where they will be recording evidence using Microsoft Surface RTs. The RT version is currently running IE11.

Most of the site pages display correctly except for when a user edits a page. The elements overlap and the drag and drop displays oddly and does not allow the user to drag any of the options into their page.

I have tinkered with Compatibility view which does not seem to make a difference. I have also tested it in IE11 on my desktop PC which seems to work fine. I have also tried editing the IECOmpat file which does not seem to make a difference.

Any techies with suggestions will be gratefully received. Given that it is only within the edit section, I am wondering if it is a Java issue.

Many thanks

Ben

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

27 January 2014, 10:34

Hello Ben,

It seems that our device detection doesn't detect Surface properly. Normally, when you are on an iOS or Android device and plan to edit a page, the display reverts to the non-Javascript version as we do not yet have drag and drop for touch devices.

So it might be worthwhile looking in the device detection code for adding the support for Surface (I'm afraid I don't know where or how and we don't have a surface tablet to test with).

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

28 January 2014, 0:35

Dear Kristina,

Thanks for your advice once again. It seems as though I was looking at this problem the wrong way.

Because MS Surfaces are intended to be 'mobile devices' they are a hybrid mismatch of technologies. So the browsers inherit their qualites and behaviours more from WindowsOS but the apps exploit the tablet functionality. Your first line triggered a lightbulb moment about device detetcion which I disabled for users when I first set up the site. Now I have enabled users to do this, when they turn device detection off, it seems to solve the problem. Simple solution.

I may have to adress you as Eureka from now on.

Many thanks

Ben

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

28 January 2014, 11:42

Hello Ben,

Great that there was a simple solution to the problem. :-) I'll make sure to add the device detection to the possible topics for my "Hidden treasures in Mahara" workshop that participants can choose from.

Cheers

Kristina

4 results