Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Spam problem

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

07 January 2014, 0:16

Hi,

On the 31 December I started getting spam registration attempts at my Mahoodle installation via the Mahara link on the Moodle registration page. In the last couple of days it's 20-30 attempts per day. Is it possible to get rid of the link to Mahara on the Moodle registration page, and should I use Captcha in the Mahara?

Thanks,

Tom

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 January 2014, 15:39

Hello Tom,

You should be able to get rid of the link on your Moodle homepage by only allowing the peer settings as specified in https://wiki.mahara.org/images/7/75/Mahoodle-updated-en.pdf on page 29: "Publish" for Identity Provider and "Subscribe" for Service Provider.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

03 October 2014, 2:11

I have the same problem...did you resolve the problem?

Account deleted

03 October 2014, 3:22

Hi Patricia,

I resolved it by getting rid of self-registration. My students register via Moodle. The other way is to set up a Recaptcha on the self-registration page. I'm not sure whether Mahara integrated Recaptcha yet.

Tom

Aaron Wells's profile picture

07 October 2014, 18:44

Mahara 1.9 comes with reCAPTCHA support built in. It's found by going to "Administration -> Configure site -> Site options -> Security settings".

We still get spam user account registrations on mahara.org even with reCAPTCHA in place, but it's down to only a few each day.

Cheers,

Aaron

5 results