Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Searching Within Text of Pages

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

16 December 2013, 15:33

Is there any ability to searh within the text of pages that are not public pages?  I know that if a page or collection are public, one can simply prepend a search with "site:mysite.com <search phrase>", but since a site is not public, Google will not parse it.

I don't want to have to rewrite every one of my headers as tags.  

I would want to both be able to search as the editor of my pages, and also, as a user reading my pages.

Melissa

Aaron Wells's profile picture

17 December 2013, 12:06

There are two ways I know of to achieve this:

1. Turn on "Enable portfolio search" under "Administration -> Site Options -> General settings". This adds a search sideblock, which will search the contents of your own Pages.

2. Use the Mahara 1.8 elasticsearch plugin. This will show you search results from all the content you have access to (your own and stuff shared with you by others)

Cheers,

Aaron

Account deleted

18 December 2013, 9:46

How do i get search portfolio to display on my pages?  Can a "block" option for this be added, so a user can decide where on their page they want to search to be displayed?

Melissa

Aaron Wells's profile picture

18 December 2013, 11:07

Currently it's only implemented as a sideblock, which shows up on the screens under the "Portfolio" and "Content" sections if you have activated that admin setting I mentioned. The sideblock is just a static HTML form that submits to /selfsearch.php , so in theory you could write it up as a (user Page) Block, or put a link to /selfsearch.php in the dashboard text.

Cheers,

Aaron

Account deleted

19 December 2013, 14:02

There is a problem with portfolio page searches.  I have a page with the title "Conquistadors", but the page currently has no text on the page.  The page is right now a placeholder.  When I do a search of My Portfolio, I typed in the word "conquistator", but no pages are returned.  That means that the search is only searching the text of the page, but it is not search for page titles.

Melissa

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

22 December 2013, 13:22

Hello Melissa,

The built-in portfolio search isn't working properly as far as I know and hasn't for some time. Thus, you may be lucky to get it to work or it might not work. Since we've implemented Elasticsearch recently, we haven't had time to look into the built-in search which is less powerful than Elasticsearch. Elasticsearch will be available for MySQL users in Mahara 1.9.

Cheers

Kristina

6 results