Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Images having scroll bar

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

11 December 2013, 7:30

I tried to add a bunch of images to my page (2 columns).  Some of the images tend to have a scroll bar on the right side. I can't figure out the reason for it, becuase images that are smaller have the scroll bar and the images that are larger do not have the scroll bar.  The ones that are more square seem to have it.

I looked at the options,and the only one that I can see is to change the height by pixels.  Basically, I want to basically say "make the image as large as possible without showing a scroll bar".

Melissa

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 December 2013, 17:26

Hello Melissa,

Images with scroll bar are new to me. Normally, images are resized to fit the block width and height esp. if you haven't provided particular dimensions. Can you please provide a screenshot of your image block configuration and the image or if that is not possible at least the image dimensions?

Thank you

Kristina

Account deleted

16 December 2013, 15:17

This is a link to the page:

http://portfolio.beitmitzvah.org/user/ben/land-forms

I will keep it public until Jan 1, 2014,   Does the link provide you with the information that you need?  6 of the images on the page have this problem.

Question:  If a page is in a collection, why can't I make a single page public?  Why does it have to be the whole collection?

Melissa

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

16 December 2013, 17:56

Hi Melissa,

I was curious so I checked. On FF 26.0 on windows I don't see any scrollbar. On IE 11 I see scroll bars next to the youtube videos but not next to the images.

HTH
Dirk

Account deleted

17 December 2013, 3:20

It depends on the browser and the screen size.  When I viewed the page on Firefox on a standard computer, everything looks fine.  When I viewed the page on Chrome on a "regular" screen, only 1 or 2 images had a scroll bar.  But when I viewed the page on a netbook computer with a screen size of 1024 x 600 I see the scroll bar on the greatest number of images.

I own a tablet, but I have not tried to view the page on that yet either.  The netbook is my "regular" computer for doing work with Mahara.

Melissa

Aaron Wells's profile picture

17 December 2013, 12:55

On Ubuntu, I'm unable to replicate in FF, but I can replicate it using Chromium. Here's a screenshot:

It happens to the most images when I've made the window narrow like that, but even on fullscreen I still get a scrollbar around that picture of the Caspian Sea. All the scrollbars are basically non-functional, with a tiny little scrollable gap at the top, but then the image disappears if I actually do try to scroll it up that gap.

I found a stackoverflow thread from 2011 describing something very similar with SVGs, so I suspect this may be a Chromium/Webkit bug. Someone on that thread suggests putting "overflow:hidden;" around the containing div, perhaps we could try that.

Cheers,

Aaron

Account deleted

18 December 2013, 9:13

Thanks, problem solved with the scrollbar.  

As for the security issues, I don't generally need to make one page public, but not the rest of the collection.  So it is a non-important issue for me personally.

Melissa

Aaron Wells's profile picture

17 December 2013, 11:53

In answer to your question about why a single Page in a Collection can't be made public separately from the rest of the Collection -- there's not really a good reason for that, except that it's the way Collections were originally implemented.

It sounds like a simple thing to fix, so I did some work towards decoupling Page and Collection permissions for 1.8, but it turned out to be a deceptively difficult thing to change in the existing codebase, requiring extensive and far-reaching code changes. So, we decided the cost-benefit ratio didn't work out, between the risk of bugs and breaking third party plugins, vs the relatively modest benefit of a more flexible permissions system.

I'd still like to implement that at some point, perhaps once we've got some automated testing infrastructure set up. I've put my partial implementation up in my gitorious repo: https://gitorious.org/mahara/agwells-mahara/source/30ccf0a635d07139d4fe3694d02c98a26013f77c:

Cheers,

Aaron

8 results