Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara themes wiki

Wullie's profile picture

16 August 2013, 2:46

Hi,

I've been looking at the possibility of getting some students to create some new Mahara themes and wanted a page to point them in the right direction.

Looking through the wiki points me to https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Customising/Themes, which had 1.2 as the last updated page for creating themes.

As far as I can see the information still seems to be correct, but that may not have seemed obvious to anyone new coming to creating themes.

I've now amended the page to point that out, but can anyone verify that the process of creating/amending themes has not changed between 1.2 and 1.7/8?

Thanks

16 August 2013, 17:53

Hello,

As long as I remember, the way to design them for Mahara has changed with the introduction of version 1.3 or 1.4.

As for other aspects of the technical/programmers guide, some work is needed to provide better docs. I have chat with Aaron this week about this and everyone is aware of this lack and try to do their best to provide guidance and upgrade the docs.

I think we can also call Mahara community to contribute more to process of providing good programmers/theme designers information.

I know that everyone is already running after time but the community is a place where resource exists.

Regarding theme-ing, if designers at Catalyst or community members such as Julian Ridden (I know he already did some theme on different occasions) could have a quick look and update/improve the related documentation it would be a big plus for the whole community.

I am ready to help in this as much as I know and can.

Regards,

-dajan

Gregor Anželj's profile picture

17 August 2013, 1:25

Wullie hi.

Maybe instead of concentrating on themes your student could create "Page skins"?

Please see:

HTH, Gregor

Wullie's profile picture

17 August 2013, 2:23

Gregor,

I may consider that for future years instead.

However, I'm undecided as yet whether we will upgrade to 1.8 in the winter because I'm not sure if changing the way that the layouts look (I think the new layout options will be amazing) will be too confusing for the students half-way through their portfolio building, so may not have the skins functionality in place until next summer.

The skins do look really nice though. How would the students create their page skins? 

Using the theme's will be beneficial in other ways too, as it will be Digital Media/Interactive Media students doing it and it will be a good way for them to learn css in a practical environment (well, their own one, but the same code) as well as learning about creating the XAMPP environments/web setups.

Gregor Anželj's profile picture

17 August 2013, 16:39

Page skins can be created via webform (inside Mahara itself).

I agree that in the case of your students it is beneficial for them to learn css "by hand" - in pratical environment and not by using webforms/wizards etc.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

18 August 2013, 17:18

Hello all,

Evonne, our graphics designer, is working on a design guide for Mahara 1.8 as so many things will change. She'll also make the individual new icons available in the raw files to make retheming easier.

Cheers

Kristina

6 results