Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Retractable blocks

Wullie's profile picture

07 August 2013, 1:52

Hi,

Can someone explain to me a bit more about the retractable blocks in 1.7 and how they are supposed to work and what it's for?

I ticked the box when testing a new text box and although I get the down arrow appear while editing, it doesn't do anything (tested in Chrome and Firefox - Firebug just shows it as an icon, not a button) and when I go into view mode, nothing appears.

Thanks

08 August 2013, 9:57

Hello Wuillie

It is working fine on my Safari and Firefox on Mac. The idea behind retractable block is to provide users a way to hide the content of blocks to save space on their page. The retractable button hide/show the cornet of each block individually of this option is checked. Moreover you can decide hoe the block is displayed on page (retracted or opened) when you open the page.

It you continue having problems with this feature i suggest to open a bug report in the tracker with a full detail of your installation.

Cheers.
dajan
Wullie's profile picture

08 August 2013, 19:53

Dajan,

Are they supposed to work in viewing or editing mode? Or both? I see the down arrow when in editing mode, but nothing clicks. When I am in viewing mode, I see nothing at all to retract them.

Thanks
Dirk Meyer's profile picture

09 August 2013, 12:03

The boxes need to contain content and clicking the arrow is all that's there and it works in viewing mode.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

18 August 2013, 18:31

Hello Wullie,

The retractable blocks work for me also in Chrome and Firefox. The easiest way to test them is at https://mahara.org/partners because there you'll see it best:

1. Click the arrow of one block.
  2. The block expands to show you information about a partner.
  3. Click the arrow again and the block retracts to just show you the heading.

As dajan said, this functionality is only available when you display a page. Due to Javascript conflicts when you are in edit mode, we did not implement it there. Any block on Mahara for which you can set settings has this functionality, i.e. some blocks only available on the profile page cannot be retracted.

Cheers

Kristina

Wullie's profile picture

19 August 2013, 22:51

Sorry, I should have update this. I managed to get it to work. It was just a misunderstanding/lack of knowledge of how they worked.

6 results