Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Making group public

Howard Miller's profile picture

04 June 2013, 0:11

Is it possible (for the administrator) to make a group publicly visible once it already exists? An ordinary user created it without such access. Now, as admin, I can see nowhere to change that option. 

Mahara 1.6 btw

Howard Miller's profile picture

04 June 2013, 0:32

In the great tradition of answering one's own question....

Make the site admin an admin of the group. 

04 June 2013, 1:10

Hey!

It is exactely what I wanted to write you back now. It is something that always bothered me: a site administrator has not all rights everywhere in Mahara. For example in groups, you have to promote the sys admin as member or admin of the group, for him/her to manage it.

Glad you have found a solution to your problem.

Regards,

-dajan

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

09 June 2013, 16:31

Hi dajan,

I would say that is consistent behavior because you are not allowed to edit anybody else's content either when you are logged in as site admin. You either have to join a group or masquerade as a user in order to gain access to what the user has access to.

Cheers

Kristina

Aaron Wells's profile picture

10 June 2013, 17:08

Probably the truer answer is that it's easier to implement it this way. Wink

Since we don't have a full-on modular permissions system like Moodle, we'd have to add a check for "are you a site admin?" in every spot where we check permissions, if we wanted side admins to be able to do everything. Masquerading strikes me as a workaround that allows the site admin to do "everything" without requiring as much additional coding.

5 results