Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Group homepage secret url

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

01 June 2013, 1:40

Hi,

I have a Mahara group intended to be shared with incoming students for orientation. I can create a secret url to individual pages or collections, but the group homepage isn't listed in the 'share' options.

I've setup icons from the homepage to topic collections, but don't see any way of getting users to the group homepage without making the group publically viewable.

Is there any way to generate a secret url for the group homepage?

Thanks, Gordon.

04 June 2013, 1:21

Hello Gordon,

I will answer this way :

1. Your group is public : Then you don't need any secret url. Knowing the url address of the group you land on the group's front page. From 1.6 you can also use the clean url option that makes better and more readable url for users.
  2. Your group is not public : Then you must be a user to access it. Therefore it is not logical to have a secret url, because only connected users can access group.

Right. Then how to share content outside the group? The only solution is to use a personal page and to make it public.

Groups are made for people having to work together on the platform.

If you share a bit more of what you want to do, we could discuss and find a solution altogether.

Regards,

-dajan

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

04 June 2013, 3:10

Hello Dajan,

Yes - that pretty much sums up what I'd figured. The problem was that we were planning to add a page of contact information for the incoming students (with their permission) so they they could start to network with others coming from their own geographical area - so didn't want the whole group public. In the end I came up with a workaround of making the group public, but took the contact page out of the group shared pages and will provide a separate secret url to it when the page is ready to go live. In this use case it would have been ideal to make the entire group viewable via secret url as it's aimed at information dissemination to users who don't yet have an institutional account to sign in with.

Regards, Gordon.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

09 June 2013, 16:25

Hello Gordon,

If I understand correctly, your users aren't part of your Mahara instance yet, but you want to share some information with them that has been collected in the group.

If that is the case, you don't have to make the group public. Just give the pages / collections within the group a secret URL and your incoming students will be able to see them from there, but they won't have access to the rest of the group. Group pages / collections are automatically shared with the group in which they were created, but you can share them with anybody else like any other page / collection even when people aren't members of the group.

If you want to link multiple collections from a page, ensure that they all have secret URLs and provide the link them in a page so your new students can view them all.

Cheers

Kristina

4 results