Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
From local install to global

Wullie's profile picture

28 May 2013, 2:25

This is probably a stupid question because I know that only a site admin (institution admin?) can do it on a local installation, but is there any way that a student can export (in Leap2A) their portfolio from a local install and have it imported onto the global Mahara so that they can continue their portfolio after leaving?

Thanks

28 May 2013, 3:06

Hi Wullie,

At present, only site admins can import Leap2A files. There are some demand in the forum and maybe in the tracker to open this to users. But I imagine this is a bit more complicated because importint a Leap2A file is linked to the creation of a new account. I would be very difficult to program an incremental import feature. My point of view.

So for now, only site admin can do this in creating a new account.

HTH

Cheers,

-dajan

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

09 June 2013, 16:37

Hi dajan and Wullie,

Institution admins can also upload Leap2A files with user data.

Cheers

Kristina

Aaron Wells's profile picture

28 May 2013, 11:33

One of the features slated for 1.8 is the ability for individual users to import LEAP2A files into their account, both during and after account registration.

So, that would allow them to do it, if they can find a Mahara site they want to put their profile into. Although this site, mahara.org itself, may not be the best place for that, since it has some customizations that are focused on Mahara software discussion rather than portfolio hosting.

Cheers,
Aaron

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

28 May 2013, 17:14

Hi Wullie,

Here is free site I run and your students are welcome to upload their exported zip file. http://www.portfoliocommunities.com/view/view.php?id=3816

Wullie's profile picture

28 May 2013, 22:39

Thanks Dirk. That seems perfect.

I signed up myself to have a look around and I notice that you allow students to set their own site theme. Is that in 1.7 of Mahara (we're running 1.6, to upgrade to 1.7 in the summer) or is that been tweaked by yourself?

If the latter, can I ask how you did that, as I think our students would really like that?

Thanks

29 May 2013, 6:45

Hi Wullie,

not my own work but done by a developer working for me on various projects.
I have used the code for about three month on two maharas and the feedback is very positive. Younger students find the functionality very quickly and are quite excited when they do find it. I am also tracking how many switch and what theme they like by looking at the database. In one mahara, of those users who set a change under 'Settings', about half choose a different theme. In another one with lots of younger students, the number is higher.

Curious to receive feedback.

Anyhow, here is a direct download: [links redacted at Dirk's request, see below]

Edits to this post:

29 May 2013, 13:51

Hi Dirk,

Were you aware of the existing user theme picker in Mahara which you can enable by setting  "$cfg->sitethemeprefs = true;" in your config.php? Or did you try it and find some problems with it? Smile

Cheers,
Aaron

29 May 2013, 17:46

Aaron,

sadly I was not.

What I shared above contains instructions to put the same line into the config file that you shared plus two files. I thought the two files contained original work, which obviously they don't.
I added the line into a fresh mahara without the two files and I get the same results. Obviously what I shared is bogus.

Would you mind removing the links above, or perhaps the entire post, so there wont be confusion as I will remove the files immediately.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Dirk

29 May 2013, 19:20

No worries! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Embarassed

I've deleted the links, but I'll leave the post up if you don't mind, because I think the discussion of how much users like and use this functionality is quite useful. Perhaps we ought to "promote" this configuration option into config-dist.php so that more people are aware of it.

18 results