Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Unable to view journal

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 May 2013, 22:04

Hello,

I have installed Mahara offline, using Wampserver, and my computer restarted itself without permission yesterday following a windows update.

Since then when I go to my journal page I get the error message 

Not found

The page you are looking for could not be found.

You are trying to access a journal entry that does not exist

However, I am able to post to the journal, and I am able to view my old entries through my portfolio, or by clicking on the relevant tag then the journal entry header.  My entries are showing in the SQL database.

How can I relink that page to the journal database?

Thanks in advance for any help.

04 June 2013, 2:08

Hello Louise,

I am sorry that I can't help you, I am a Mac and Unix man, with old and little experience of Windows. I know that there is some issues with Wamp and Moodle and Mahara.

I would advise you to change for a Unix emulated Os server (such as Ubuntu or Mandriva) with VirtualPC or WMWare.

Sorry again. Hope that someone here could help more.

Regards,

dajan

Account deleted

04 June 2013, 22:09

Thanks for the suggestion Dominique-Alain.  Once I'd finally managed to install it, I have had no other problems using Mahara through Wampserver, so I intend to continue with it.  I would just like this issue resolved.

Louise

Aaron Wells's profile picture

04 June 2013, 18:04

Hi Louise,

Did you try editing the block, to see if you can re-link it through the UI?

1. Go to the Page you view the journal from

2. Click "Edit this Page"

3. Click the "Configure" icon on the Journal block

4. If you see your journal listed in the block's config settings, then select it, and save.

5. If not, then try adding a new block and see if you see your Journal listed in its settings.

Cheers,
Aaron

Account deleted

04 June 2013, 22:07

Hi Aaron,

Thanks very much for the suggestion.  

I can already view the journal within a page in the portfolio (i.e. under Portfolio -> Pages -> "my journal page".  What I can't do is view it under Content -> Journals -> "my journal".  The journal title appears, but when I click on it I get the error message.

Not found

I have added a replacement journal as a workaround, and don't have any problems with that, but it would be preferable to be able to use the original.  If I don't get a resolution I will edit the parents of all the original entries within the database to move them to the new journal, but I'm trying to avoid that!

Thanks, Louise

05 June 2013, 11:40

So you're getting that error message when you try to go to a URL that ends like "/artefact/blog/view/?id=454" ?

Interesting, there's only one place in the code that prints the error message "You are trying to access a journal entry that does not exist". That's in the constructor for ArtefactTypeBlogPost(), if you pass in an ID that doesn't exist in the DB column artefact_blog_blogpost.blogpost . From a quick read of the code, though, I don't see how that could happen on the artefact/blog/view/index.php page.

If I had to guess, probably the specific database corruption you've got, is that there's a record for a blogpost in the artefact table without a corresponding record in the artefact_blog_blogpost table. Try running this query:

select * from artefact a where artefacttype='blogpost' and not exists (select 1 from artefact_blog_blogpost abb where abb.blogpost = a.id);

In a healthy database, that should return 0 results.

I'd also recommend setting up a cron job (or whatever the Windows equivalent is) to take daily backups of your DB. :)

Account deleted

05 June 2013, 20:49

Thanks Aaron, that was spot on!  One of the records in the artefact table was missing a corresponding record in artefact_blog_blogpost.  

I managed to fix it by creating a corresponding record in artefact_blog_blogpost.

Thanks very much for your help, pleased this is now fixed!

Louise

06 June 2013, 11:28

Glad to hear it. Laughing

Hm, I'm guessing this is because the adodb "mysql" driver that we're using doesn't support transactions. The code for the blogpost artefacts would otherwise commit both those records in the same transaction, to avoid exactly this sort of problem.

I'll file a bug to see about switching us to the adodb "mysqli" driver, which does support transactions.

Cheers,
Aaron

Teresa Brady's profile picture

07 February 2014, 17:34

Hi Aaron,

I was wondering if there was a LaunchPad bug number for this bug?

I had the exact same issue in my account this week (administrator account).

I had three journals and one of the journals become inaccessible, in that I could create entries, but they were not able to be read. I also couldn't delete the journal journal itself.

I would get the following message:

Not found

In the other two journals I could add, delete, edit and read the entries, without any problems.

Our developer has now fixed the journal so I can now edit and delete entries in it.

Thanks,

Teresa

Account deleted

26 February 2014, 23:14

Thank you! I had the same problem and your solution worked!!

10 results