Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Disable homepage information setting?

MarionMacDonald's profile picture

23 April 2013, 3:07

Users have the option to disable the homepage information - is it possible to remove this setting from users so that homepage information is permanently on?

Thanks

Marion

Aaron Wells's profile picture

23 April 2013, 10:53

Hi Marion,

Sorry, there's no config option for that. You'd need to make a code change.

Cheers,
Aaron

23 April 2013, 19:53

OK, thank you Aaron.

Regards

Marion

25 April 2013, 2:38

hello Marion,

In Administration -> Configure Site -> Site Settings you will find the option: Show homepage information.

If you uncheck this, users no longer will see the homepage information on their homepage.

I am quite sure, but not certain, that this setting doesn't infer on already existing users, but only on new users.

This is already something.

I think that for the other users you will have to change a value in the database with an SQL query that change the "showhomeinfo" field in the table "usr_account_preference" to 0.

Regards,

-dajan

25 April 2013, 3:35

Hi dajan, thanks for your response.

I knew about the site settings but I assumed users could always override this with their own settings. Your tip about changing the database value is very useful, thank you.  I'll have a word with our host about it.

Regards

Marion

25 April 2013, 9:41

Hi again,

But whatever you do, the users will always be able to unchange your setting. Users are at the commands.

Regards,

-dajan

Aaron Wells's profile picture

26 April 2013, 12:27

Right, this setting allows you to make the homepage information be gone from users' home pages, but I don't know of any setting that forces it to stay. But, I could be wrong. Smile

You could achieve it with a fairly small code change; maybe the easiest thing to do would be to add some code so that each time the user logs in, it resets their showhomeinfo preference back to 1.

Or, comment out the form element for it on the user's settings page, and comment out the part in index.php where it sets the Javascript for hiding the intro block when users click the (x).

Cheers,
Aaron

7 results