Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
How to improve file in Mahara System to be indexed in Search Engine

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

13 April 2009, 3:34

Hi,

In my Mahara system, i have a lot of PDF files. My site also have crawled by search engine. But one question, why my files can not indexed in search engine?

Maybe it's because Mahara system take upload folder outsite web root?

Anyone know about this?? Thanks

Account deleted

13 April 2009, 18:24

Well access to Mahara is for logged in users only, and search engines can't log in, so I'd be surprised if they can see anything really...

The only exception is if you have public groups, like the Mahara community group that this forum is in. Then some stuff can be seen, but still no files.

Account deleted

13 April 2009, 22:41

Yes, Nigel, you're right. But I have modified my Mahara system, so user don't have to login first to download files in publication files. I think it because Mahara system uses some redirect link to download files.
Account deleted

13 April 2009, 23:38

If the files are available to download publicly, then they can be indexed. How your Mahara is set up is irrelevant to this. It's not like Mahara will do anything different if it knows a search engine is looking for the file.

However, it's worth pointing out that the 'my files' area requires javascript in mahara 1.1, so if you've only got links from there then a search engine won't see them. Linking to them in other places should make them searchable. The 'my files' area isn't javascript-only in 1.2.

4 results