Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Group Forum - E-Mail without Link

Conrad Lienhardt's profile picture

12 September 2012, 15:54

Hello,

when adding a new topic in one of the group forums or replying to one the subscribers get an email. But this email lists only a few lines, set some points (...) and end with: Do not reply to this message.

There is no hyperlink to the original post in the forum. Therefore the subscribers get no information about that forum in which the post had been published. They have to check all subscribed ones.

Mahara 1.4 worked well, but in Mahara 1.5.1 this problem challenges me.
PHP 3.2.16; MySQL 5.1.52

Does anyone have an idea to get that running? My students ask me to fix this. Without your help I have no chance.

Thanks in advanced
Kind regards
Conrad

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

12 September 2012, 22:31

A starting point could be to look in /interaction/form/lib.php  It has some relevant code towards the end about emails and post notifications...just a quick guess though.

13 September 2012, 5:45

Hello Dirk,

thank you for your advice. I took a look into the code and compared it with the original lib.php. They are identical. So the bug must be elswhere. But I have no clue where.

Kind Regards, Conrad

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 September 2012, 3:36

Hello Conrad,

Did you modify the code of the forum? Normally, as in this forum for example, the links are hyperlinks and you see the entire text.

Cheers

Kristina

13 September 2012, 5:28

Hello Kristina,

I did not modify any code. I use mahara 1.5.1 as is. In mahara 1.4 forum messages delivered by email worked fine. So I was astonished to get some rudiment email now.
Yesterday I tried several times with different users. Now I do not get even those rudiements. But all personal messages are still delivered.

Thanks and hope there a solution with 500MB

Kind Regards, Conrad

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 September 2012, 14:47

Just a note: Conrad deleted the SMTP settings. Please refer to https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=4860#post21341

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

13 September 2012, 20:35

Hi Conrad:

I got a similar problem when I upgraded from 1.4 to 1.5. However when I updated to 1.5.2 the problem solved by themself, so yo may try the same before chekhing elsewhere.

Hope that helps.

15 September 2012, 4:08

Hi Roberto,

thanks for your adivce. I had great problems in upgrading from 1.4 to 1.5 and hat at least to restore the backup. So I set up 1.5 and transferred pages from 1.4 by ex- and importing.
Now I am not sure whether the update from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 or meanwhile 1.5.3 will cause same troubles.
Does updating to 1.5.2. cause database adaption? Or is it sufficient, to overright only updates files?

Thanks and Kind Regards, Conrad

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

17 September 2012, 8:17

Hi Conrad:

I didn't experienced any database problem updating from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2. 

Regarding the update process, I personally use and prefer the GIT method, described here:

https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Getting_Code_from_Git

I find the update process from GIT more easier to mantain and less prone to problems than the regular process of overwriting the whole code. I don't know why the GIT process is not encouraged and better documented by the official Mahara install instructions. I learned it from Moodle and I can assure you it is worth the initial effort of understanding how GIT works. Now every update is a matter of few commnads and few minutes. Anyway it is my personal preference.

Another question: your default Mahara instalation is in English or in another language? I ask this because I had the problem you describe with the e-mail messages running Mahara with Spanish as default. I did at the same time an update of Mahara from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 and the Spanish language, and the problem solved. However I am not  sure if it was due to the Mahara code or the language pack update.

Regards, Roberto.

18 September 2012, 4:38

Hi Roberto,

thanks for your support. The language (I set german as default) causes the bug. I tried to overwrite the language pack with an aktual version but then I got this error Message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare plural_de_utf8() (previously declared in /home/.sites/383/site150/web/eportfolio/lang/de.utf8/langconfig.php:26) in /home/.sites/383/site150/web/eportfolio/lang/de.utf8/langconfig.php on line 28

I couldn't login using German as default language now. So I hat to redeclare English as default.

What's causing this?

I had to comment those lines in lang/de.utf8/ out:

// Plural forms, added by language pack generator
//$string['pluralrule'] = 'n != 1';
//$string['pluralfunction'] = 'plural_de_utf8';
//function plural_de_utf8($n) {
//    return $n != 1;
//}

Now the heavy interruption is bypassed. But this may point out that the language causes the problems.
I had a look to the changes made updating 1.5.1 to 1.5.3 - but nothing there indicates a solution towards use of other language packs than Englisch

Relating to Gitorious:

I'd like to use Gitorious but have no experience with it. 
Could you advice to update only those files mentioned here:
https://gitorious.org/mahara/mahara/commit/89007148a767930f2425fdaa232562c51eb87ba6/diffs/22e097095751ec5227bea82fce15e316496171dc

I am afraid to take risks while the term is on the way. Last time I tried updating caused some turbulences and students anger.  So ...
Is there a tutorial for using Gitorous for updating?

Thanks and Kind Regards
Conrad

22 results