Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
My Collections

Wullie's profile picture

10 September 2012, 10:12

Hi,

Has anyone developed a My Collections block for the Dashboard like the My Pages one?

If not, I'm happy to try to create one. Does anyone have any specific tips for a block only being available in the Dashboard?

Thanks

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

10 September 2012, 14:24

Hello Wullie,

I'm not aware of any such block. It hasn't been proposed for Mahara core yet. If you wish to just create one for the Dashboard, best look at a block that is only available for the Dashboard, e.g. Inbox, Latest pages, Watched pages (cf. http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.5/blocks/context.html ).

If you wish to have your block included in Mahara core (which would be awesome), please develop it against the current master branch. You can find more information about how to set up your dev environment at https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Developer_Environment and some other information about submitting patches to our review system etc. at https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area

Good luck

Kristina

Wullie's profile picture

11 September 2012, 3:04

Kristina,

I'll probably base it off of the My Pages block, as I'd hazard a guess that it'll just be a change to the database query (or at least that's my hope).

I'll have a look at those other blocks you mention though too so that I can see the configuration differences for being available for the dashboard only.

I see that the My Pages is avaialble on the profile page too. Would My Collections be better to be the same or just on your own Dashboard?

Thoughts?

11 September 2012, 14:46

Hello Wullie,

It would actually be nice to also show off your collections on the profile page. Then people who work more with collections than pages could take away the My Pages block and use the collections one instead keeping it a bit shorter.

Cheers

Kristina

Wullie's profile picture

31 October 2012, 23:31

Kristina,

I've written the My Collections block (just need to do a bit more testing and dry-run it within my college first before making available).

However, it's made me wonder what to do with the pages not in collections

With this block, you could have

• 50 pages listed under the My Pages block
  • 3 collections with 20 pages listed under the My Collections block (30 pages not in collections)

What's the best way to deal with those 30 pages?

They could be listed separately at the end of the My Collections block, but since they are not collections, it seems the wrong place for them.

They could be listed under the My Pages block still, but I'd guess that people (as you've said) would probably remove the My Pages block.

The My Pages block could be re-written (or a new 'My Non-Collection Pages block could be created) to show those pages not in collections.

Thoughts/preferences?

05 November 2012, 9:21

Hello Wullie,

Great to read that you've made progress. :-)

I agree with you that pages that are not in collections shouldn't be shown in the collections block because that would defeat the purpose. However, the pages block would then ideally not show pages that are in collections.

Alternatively, I guess you could make a collections / pages block which lists first collections and then non-collection pages (similary to the distinction on the "Share" page. You could make it a a setting whether you only wanted to show collections or also non-collection pages at the bottom.

What do you think?

Cheers

Kristina

Wullie's profile picture

06 November 2012, 23:58

Kristina,

That seems like the logical next step.

In the meantime, I'll make the current My Collections (separate from pages) available (through github and a page in my Mahara pages here) and look at incorporating your suggestions into another/an enhanced block.

Thanks

Wullie's profile picture

07 November 2012, 3:46

Kristina,

I would like to add my current block onto the mahara contrib on gitorious, but for the last plugin I added Francois setup the gitorious side for me. Can I ask how I get this setup for the MyCollections block?

Thanks

07 November 2012, 8:07

Hello Wullie,

Either Hugh or Melissa should be able to set this up on Gitorious for you. I'm afraid I don't have the powers.

Would you actually be willing to put it into the code review system for Mahara core code (cf. https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Contributing_Code ) or do you want to work on it a bit more to make it work with the settings?

This feature would be great to have in core.

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

07 November 2012, 22:58

組件或插件從版本到版本信息
artefact.file 1.2.0 1.2.1 :( DirectoryIterator::__construct(/home/justican/.cpanel/quickinstall/mahara-/uploaddir/artefact/file/originals/) [directoryiterator.--construct]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory
Call stack (most recent first):
  • DirectoryIterator->__construct("/home/justican/.cpanel/quickinstall/mahara-/upload...") at/home/justican/public_html/maha/artefact/file/db/upgrade.php:405
  • xmldb_artefact_file_upgrade("2010012702") at/home/justican/public_html/maha/lib/upgrade.php:374
  • upgrade_plugin(object(stdClass)) at/home/justican/public_html/maha/admin/upgrade.json.php:94
notification.internal 1.0.1 1.0.3  
blocktype.file/gallery 1.0.0 2.0  
blocktype.externalfeed 1.0.2 1.0.3  
interaction.forum 1.2.1 1.2.1  
14 results