Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Copying text boxes

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

29 January 2013, 15:45

Hi all, sorry to come in late.

This problem is a bit perplexing because in my view when I copy a text box I assume by convention that I am not re-using it, but makeing an independant copy.

Perhaps the solution lies in providing a way for users to do a number of things with text boxes. Either to Copy a text box (changes made to the copy are not propagated) or to re-use a text box, in which case the documentation clearly states that re-used text boxes are all one and the same - it's just appearing in multiple places.

my two cents, thanks.

Shane.

Wullie's profile picture

30 January 2013, 0:33

Dirk,

For the first part, I agree fully that my eyes are drawn to the large textbox and therefore the note should be at the bottom (I've said that further back in this thread).

With regards to the second part, I think the way it works is a huge benefit. If I create a template for a user, I don't want them to be able to change my work (and then the template for others).

Don Presant's profile picture

30 January 2013, 2:25

I agree that this ad hoc text box -> Notes artefact business is difficult to navigate. Although I like to have Notes artefacts, often my use of a text box is very context sensitive and impermanent and I have a huge collection of useless Notes that I will never re-use, leaving aside the issue of mistakenly making global changes to a Notes artefact that I am using on several pages.

Why must it be a default to make a Text box into a Notes artefact?

Why is that not an option?

ie a "make this a re-usable Note" button.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

03 March 2013, 19:31

Hello,

Thank you for your further thoughts on this. We can't do much for 1.7, but I'll see if our designer can still change the color of the text above the text box. We are planning to bring RC1 out next week and thus are finishing the UI freeze. Any feature enhancement would be made for a future release.

Cheers

Kristina

Aaron Wells's profile picture

08 March 2013, 17:09

Hi Don,

I like your suggestion of making it optional to link a text block to a note. I've logged a Mahara feature request for it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1152441

Cheers,
Aaron

Don Presant's profile picture

09 March 2013, 1:46

Thanks Aaron, I've added my vote to say that it affects me.

I now have 532 Notes to choose from in my archive; and counting!

Aaron Wells's profile picture

11 March 2013, 12:29

Hm, sounds like we'll also need the ability to remove a Note from your list while still leaving the text in all of the text boxes that are using it.

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

12 March 2013, 6:59

I am wondering how folks feel about disconnecting textboxes and notes altogether by making them separate artefacts? A note seems something I would use to provide feedback within a page or as an annotation or even as a comment tool. When introducing mahara to new users I call a textbox an area into which to place a paragraph. Hence, I am wondering if long term renaming textbox to paragraph could be an option. Weebly does a very nice job with that.

A post by Account deleted was deleted

29 results