Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Recommended PostgreSQL version for Mahara?

Geoff Rowland's profile picture

03 August 2012, 14:28

Hi folks

I have just successfully upgraded from PostgreSQL 8.2 to 8.3 (via the usual dump and restore process) in order to allow a Mahara 1.4 to 1.5 upgrade.

Are there any significant advantages (or issues) in further upgrades to, say, PostgreSQL 8.4, 9.0 or 9.1?

Any particular PostgreSQL versions to avoid for Mahara?

Using CentOS 5 Linux  with the Remi RPM Repository, for PHP packages, and PostgreSQL RPM Repository.

Thanks in advance

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

05 August 2012, 17:35

Hi Geoff,

The minimal requirements for the current version of Mahara is 8.3 as you may of guessed. Differences between higher versions are a plenty, and would be too long to list here.

As for our client installs, the majority are using 9.1, though there are some using the old 8.x series. Our reasoning for using 9.x was the replication features.

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that it is basically up to you how much effort you put into maintaining the database version. Mahara will always be supported on the minimal version, though that minimum may increase. You can either upgrade to versions as they come out (or when your distro releases a newer packaged version), or you can just wait until Mahara increases the minimum version and upgrade then.

I hope that helps, feel free to reply with more questions and I can try to answer them as best I can :D

Cheers,

Hugh

Geoff Rowland's profile picture

06 August 2012, 16:27

Hi Hugh

Thanks for the information. Pretty much as I had anticipated, but it is good to have the reassurance. I have now successfully upgraded from PostgreSQL 8.3 to 8.4 and intend to experiment with the 9 series.

Cheers

A post by Account deleted was deleted

2 posts by Account deleted were deleted

6 results