Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Mahara website security

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

06 July 2012, 3:08

Hi All,

not sure if this is the right place but I would like to report a message I got today on the Mahara website (which I hadn't visited for ages since we have our own installation).

Clearly the case is that people are using the platform for scam attempts. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Here's the message:

"Dear Marta Asensio,

Please, i Want to introduce my self on this business opportunity to you  My name is jerry donsin, A Fiduciary bank Attorney At Law. i wish to know  if we can work together.

I Would like you stand as the surviving beneficiary to my deceased client (Engr.J.P Asensio) Who made some deposit of ($10.5 Million) He died  without leaving any WILL and any registered next of kin and as such the funds now have open beneficiary mandate.

Kindly get in touch with me through my email address ([email protected]) with your information For more guild lines to  the repartition of this fund.

FULL NAME :
CONTACT EMAIL :
CONTACT PHONE NUMBER :
HOME ADDRESS :
May His Fragile Soul Rest In Perfect Peace Amen !!!

Regards,

jerry donsin Esq.
[email protected]
+22890113659"

Thanks

Marta Asensio

A post by Account deleted was deleted

Account deleted

06 July 2012, 5:53

Hi Marta,

Thanks for letting us know about the scammer. Sadly there's not much we can do as these are humans signing up just the same as everyone else did, and manually sending these messages. All websites where people can sign up without being individually checked have this issue. The best we can do is suspend them as we find them.

Did the notification say who sent it? Can you tell me? (send me a private notice on here if you prefer) That way I'll know I have dealt with all the accounts the person made.

Thanks,
Melissa.

Account deleted

06 July 2012, 7:21

Hi Melissa

thanks for your prompt reply. All the notification said was jerry donsin [[email protected]].

I thought that you probably wouldn't be able to do more than delete their account. It's really annoying that people abuse these sites for their dishonest purposes.

Regards

Marta

Gregor Anželj's profile picture

06 July 2012, 16:36

Almost same message I got. The sender was Harry Omenka.

Account deleted

06 July 2012, 23:22

Hi Gregor,

I can't seem to find that user by the name. If you got an email notification, could you forward that to me at my catalyst address (melissa@)? If it was a while ago, perhaps that user is already suspended, but I would like to check anyway :)

Thanks,
Melissa.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

07 July 2012, 2:29

Hi Melissa,

I already deleted the account. You had already suspended one of them, but he had two.

Cheers

Kristina

Gregor Anželj's profile picture

12 July 2012, 2:55

Another one appeared. Search by that name: Joseph Carter. Same message as previos...

Account deleted

12 July 2012, 3:32

Thanks Gregor, I will deal with them now.

A post by Account deleted was deleted

10 results