Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Import eportfolio into existing account

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

15 February 2012, 10:57

I have used the import option to generate a new user account with their eportfolio data included, but now need a different option. The new Mahara server is authenicating with a CAS server where user accounts are created. This means new user accounts are created with no data attached, but I would like to import their existing eportfolio views and content.

Is it possible to import views and content into an existing account?

Craig

Mary Cooch's profile picture

16 February 2012, 3:10

Hi there. I am not sure you can do this-the alternative would be to import the old account, make the views copyable and then get the new account person to copy them to their new account and then deleted the old one. A lot of effort if you  have  many accounts though :( I hope you get a better answer.

Account deleted

16 February 2012, 4:56

Hello,

Currently only an admin user can import a Leap2A file into Mahara in administrative screen 'Add user' and this result in the user's account creation , so it cannot exist before, (with required data such as username,password,institution  and some data retrieved from the Leap2A file such as firstname, lastname, email and picture that  just become optionnal)  and subsequent portfolio import.

And I guess you do not want to manually do it yourself for all new accounts automagically added by the CAS auth plugin  at every new user logging ;-)

Solution would be to add an option to 'regular user's ' portfolio menu to allow him to import  his Leap2A file (currently he can only export) and process it without the first part concerning account creation/updating.

All code is there in Mahara (see import/leap/lib.php and user/add.php) but somebody has to take the time to split the user's creation part from the real portofolio importing part .

A nice programming project for a student ? 

Cheers.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

16 February 2012, 13:02

Hi Craig,

This is already a wish on the "Specifications" page on the wiki. This would be great to have.

Another option to what Mary wrote is that you as admin import the users portfolio and change the authentication method to the CAS one and then add the CAS username as remote username before the user logs in with his CAS account because then when he logs in, he'll have his portfolio.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

16 February 2012, 16:12

Thank you all for your responses, I should be able to work with the people running our site to make one of these options work.

ch

5 results