Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
You must enable javascript to perform an install or upgrade.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

27 September 2011, 17:36

Install is failing with "You must enable javascript to perform an install or upgrade."  I've gone through the install instructions twice as well as the FAQ page, 2 Forms with similar bugs and buglist but can't find a solution.  Any ideas?

Firefox has javascript enabled.   Tested also with google chrome and same message.  Server is running:

• debian 6
  • mysql 5.1.49
  • apache 2.2.16
  • php 5.3.3

Mahara Install Error

François Marier's profile picture

27 September 2011, 18:32

I suspect that the javascript files are not being served by your web server.

Can you attach the Apache configuration file you use?

Also, is there anything in the Apache error log?

Cheers,

Francois

Account deleted

28 September 2011, 14:28

You're - the apache server was running google's mod pagespeed.

resolution was to create .htaccess

ModPagespeed off

François Marier's profile picture

28 September 2011, 18:19

Hi Dean,

Thanks for letting us know how you resolved your problem.

Do you have a suggestion as to where we could add this? For example, what pages of the wiki did you look at when you were trying to find information on how to fix this?

Cheers,

Francois

Account deleted

30 December 2011, 10:29

Hi,

I use this topic because I'm experiencing the same problem (working with localhost server): 

Performing installation...

I tried with Firefox & Chrome, the problem is not the browser, JavaScript is enabled and works fine with other websites.
My settings: Mahara 1.4.1. Ubuntu 11.10, PHP 5.3.6.13 (cURL enabled), mysql5.1.58
As I told before, I'm working with the localhost webserver and  mod_pagespeed is not even available in my Apache, so the the problem must be another one.
I checked the apache error logs:
[Fri Dec 30 11:02:28 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /var/www/mahara/js/keyboardnavigation.js, referer: http://localhost/mahara/admin/
The name of the file has been converted to lowercase, the filename contains capital letters keyboardNavigation.js
do I need to enable/disable some module in Apache?
any help would be appreciated. I can paste my apache config file if needed.
Thank you very much in advance
Rod 

Account deleted

30 December 2011, 10:30

Hi,

I use this topic because I'm experiencing the same problem (working with localhost server):

Performing installation ...

I tried with Firefox & Chrome, the problem is not the browser, JavaScript is enabled and works fine with other websites.
My settings: Mahara 1.4.1. Ubuntu 11.10, PHP 5.3.6.13 (cURL enabled), mysql5.1.58
As I told before, I'm working with thelocalhostwebserver and mod_pagespeedis not even available in my Apache, so the the problem must be another one.
I checked the apache error logs:

[Fri Dec 30 11:02:28 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /var/www/mahara/js/keyboardnavigation.js, referer:http://localhost/mahara/admin/
The name of the file has been converted to lowercase, the filename contains capital letterskeyboardNavigation.js
How can I avoid filenames conversion to lowercase? any help would be appreciated. I can paste my apache config file if needed. Thank you very much in advance.
Rod

Account deleted

30 December 2011, 11:58

I used a shell script to change all .js filenames in /var/www/mahara/js to lowercase recursiverly.

It works fine now, but I guess this is just a workaround.

7 results